Re: [Json] JSON for Internet messages

John Cowan <cowan@mercury.ccil.org> Wed, 03 July 2013 20:15 UTC

Date: Wed, 03 Jul 2013 16:15:22 -0400
From: John Cowan <cowan@mercury.ccil.org>
To: Tatu Saloranta <tsaloranta@gmail.com>
Sender: John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>
Cc: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>, "json@ietf.org" <json@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Json] JSON for Internet messages

Tatu Saloranta scripsit:

> It has never been a problem for me, nor has there been user requests beyond
> schema (and schema validator) implementors who care more. But it is
> possible that perhaps this has been a significant problem for others.

The trouble is that with sufficiently bad implementations, or chains
of implementations, such permissiveness can lead to a security breach,
and security being a Yang Worship Word these days, everyone cowers in
fear which such things are mentioned.  My most recent use case for
JSON (to represent the MicroXML data model) doesn't even require parsing it,
but I never suppose that for that reason JSON might as well be limited
to nothing but arrays in which the first element is always a string and
the second element is always an object with string values.

--
John Cowan  <cowan@ccil.org>  http://ccil.org/~cowan
Micropayment advocates mistakenly believe that efficient allocation of