Re: [KAML] LoA proposal

"Henry B. Hotz" <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov> Wed, 19 September 2007 19:04 UTC

From: "Henry B. Hotz" <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
Subject: Re: [KAML] LoA proposal
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 12:04:08 -0700
To: Paul Rabinovich <Paul.Rabinovich@exostar.com>
Cc: kaml@ietf.org

Not sure there isn't a bit of scope creep in the proposal.  Seems to
me the scope is providing authorization information based on how the
original authentication was done, not to define new authentication
mechanisms per-se.  We need to be careful what we say about OTP and
SAML authentication in the absence of approved RFC's or other standards.

I think we can "agree to disagree" on what what kind of authorization
information is needed/appropriate based on prior discussion.  Let me
suggest a different organization;  we should define two kinds of
information:

1) RAW information, which provides details about how the original
authentication was done.

2) EVALUATED information, which provides a policy judgement about the
quality/strength/implications of the authentication method.

Examples of RAW information would be the kind of OTP token used, or
the cert (and/or cert path) for a PKINIT authentication.  If a SAML
token caused the ticket to be issued then that SAML token might be
included.

Examples of EVALUATED information would be a SAML token asserting the
SP800-63 LoA of the authentication, or the PAC data defined by
Microsoft.  DCE authorization info probably also qualifies (just to
keep an ASN1-encoded type in the mix).

All of the above are optional, based on local policy requirements.
Any/all of the above examples MUST be includable without conflict.
Not that it would have been a problem, but the above clearly
distinguishes whether a SAML token generated the authentication, or
the authentication generated the SAML token, and both SAML tokens
might be included.

I'd propose that the EVALUATED information gets included/excluded
based on the same mechanism used by Microsoft to include/exclude the
PAC.  I'd propose the RAW data is excluded by default, but included
if requested by some other mechanism.

----

> 11. The “simple” profile will support forwarding of authentication
> info defined as a CHOICE:
>
> -       User ID/password: an ENUM or OCTET STRING saying “user ID/
> password”.
> -       X.509 certification path: an ENUM or OCTET STRING saying “X.
> 509 path” plus a SEQUENCE/SET of certificates.
> -       X.509 end-entity certificate only: an ENUM or OCTET STRING
> saying “X.509 single cert” plus the certificate.I'd vote for an
> ENUM on space efficiency grounds.

I'd vote for ENUM on space efficiency grounds.
> -       OTP: an ENUM or OCTET STRING saying “OTP” (QUESTION: are
> there any important flavors/subdivisions?)
Take a look at section 5.1.1 of draft-ietf-krb-wg-kerberos-sam-03.txt.
> -       QUESTION: Is multifactor authentication of interest?
Absolutely.  If nothing else the use of multifactor authentication is
needed for the higher levels in SP800-63, so it's already implied.
Do we need to explicitly define a way to carry the number of factors
used in the original authentication?  I don't think so, but I may be
wrong.