[KAML] Re: Chicago bar-BOF summary

"Henry B. Hotz" <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov> Thu, 06 September 2007 19:30 UTC

From: "Henry B. Hotz" <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2007 12:29:48 -0700
To: kaml@ietf.org
Subject: [KAML] Re: Chicago bar-BOF summary

Do we have anyone else from NASA on this list?  JPL is an FFRDC, not
a civil service lab.  We may have different perspectives on this.
Also I know some of the push to do this came from other NASA concerns.

We want to create applications that may specifically require that the
user authenticated with a smart card.  Based on NIST SP800-63 they
may be medium-security applications where the card may have been used
to get Kerberos credentials, or they may be high-security
applications where the card has to be in the reader and used
directly.  The bulk of the applications we need to worry about will
be "medium".

I'm not sure I can comment on item 3.  I think that "we" think we can
configure Sun Access Manager to do what we need there, and new
standards are not immediately necessary.

I see 1, and 2 as not being necessarily different.  I think our goal
is to come up with a way to represent authorization information, like
what 800-63 specifies, in a portable, extensible manner.  I will take
it on faith (for now) that SAML has the necessary flexibility for the
job.  So what are the issues that need discussing?

Or do we just start discussing how to put SAML tokens into the
authorization data field and what constraints we impose on how the
tokens are encrypted/validated.

I need to know that there is an API path for getting that information
out of the ticket and inspecting/querying it.  I also need to know
that will be possible on *nix as well as Windows.  That means that
whatever we propose needs to get implemented in at least one of the
open-source Kerberos packages as well as in Windows.  That would seem
to drag the GSSAPI folks back into the discussion at some point.  If
we come up with a standard that solves NASA's problem, then I think
Microsoft is likely to implement it.

Begin message: