Re: [KAML] Re: Chicago bar-BOF summary

"Tom Scavo" <trscavo@gmail.com> Thu, 06 September 2007 20:56 UTC

DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; bh=oX61wS/C9t6Wun7HuOoCQpge/EsD2VJ8IZhdR7EwXQw=; b=e2g2bvtY9EYxnyIUHMxWKC3+K5NObThV+zX7wUhacZ/uVnrbMiOp5zyW7cWWQFC6GEIsr6odDA+YKptEX6jRCNqfNkVJLj02dHMOayHZr70rYUd7+gNCMOo+LRs6iduivo122///HdKWvygC7wJawS46w+tTJPNJfu2UeHVPHCE=
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2007 16:56:40 -0400
From: Tom Scavo <trscavo@gmail.com>
To: "Douglas E. Engert" <deengert@anl.gov>
Subject: Re: [KAML] Re: Chicago bar-BOF summary
Cc: kaml@ietf.org

On 9/6/07, Douglas E. Engert <deengert@anl.gov> wrote:
> Tom Scavo wrote:
> >
> > FWIW, we are embedding SAML assertions in short-lived X.509
> > certificates
>
> So you are talking RFC3820 proxy certificates?

Yes, we have a tool that issues a proxy certificate with a SAML
assertion bound to a non-critical certificate extension.  We also have
an online CA that issues short-lived end entity certificates with a
similar extension.

> One problem is that PKINIT today does use any of these assertions
> when issuing a TGT, and does not forward these assertions in the TGT.
> Thus my suggestion of passing the cert and chain in the TGT.
>
> Now if SAML processing is added to the KDC, maybe it should pass
> along any SAML assertions found in the cert cert chain rather then
> the full cert.

Again, just to illustrate our particular use of SAML, the relying
party traverses the certificate chain up to the first
non-impersonation proxy (which in practice is usually the EEC) and
consumes any and all bound SAML assertions.  So multiple assertions
may be involved, from multiple SAML issuers.

Tom Scavo
NCSA