Re: [karp] [OPSEC] FW: WG LC: draft-ietf-karp-ops-model-05 to Informational

"George, Wes" <wesley.george@twcable.com> Wed, 03 April 2013 15:21 UTC

From: "George, Wes" <wesley.george@twcable.com>
To: "draft-ietf-karp-ops-model@tools.ietf.org" <draft-ietf-karp-ops-model@tools.ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2013 11:21:35 -0400
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "karp@ietf.org" <karp@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [karp] [OPSEC] FW: WG LC: draft-ietf-karp-ops-model-05 to Informational

I've reviewed this draft before at Sam's request, so I don't have a lot of comments, but here are a few items I see in the most recent version in WGLC.

3.2 key expiration -- Might be useful to have a pointer to 6.2 where handling expiration faults is discussed in more detail. Also, would it be appropriate to discuss a config knob to more finely control expiration handling? I'm thinking of something that would allow a fail-open or fail-safe condition, where expiration generates a fairly insistent warning but instead of immediately tearing down that session, the implementation will maintain the session as long as it stays up, but if it goes down for some other reason (lost connectivity, etc.) it will not be permitted to re-establish until the expired key is addressed. I'm sure there are some security risks to this, but it might be a useful tradeoff for folks still getting the hang of managing key expiration.

5. Grouping peers - need to be able to ungroup a peer or peers without impacting routing - one of the problems with things like BGP Peer groups using a common MD5 password today is that if you need to change the password, you affect the entire peer group at once. The ability to override a group config with a peer-specific config as an extension of key rollover provides a lot of flexibility, such that it may be useful to make that an explicit requirement. This is discussed some in Section 7, but may need some companion text here.

6.1 - not sure I'd assume that proper procedures are in place to be followed. The overlap between "Router people" and "security people" is often limited, so I'm of the mind that some amount of specifics in terms of rules of thumb are useful, or at least discussing what if anything might be different in handling this provisioning step.
see also draft-ietf-sidr-rtr-keying's discussion of provisioning a router. Discussion on some of that in my review of that document. Thread here: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/sidr/current/msg05659.html

Thanks,

Wes George