Re: [keyassure] Opening issue #21: "Need to specify which crypto

Warren Kumari <warren@kumari.net> Wed, 02 March 2011 23:42 UTC

From: Warren Kumari <warren@kumari.net>
To: Phillip Hallam-Baker <hallam@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2011 18:43:54 -0500
Cc: keyassure@ietf.org, Paul Hoffman <paul.hoffman@vpnc.org>
Subject: Re: [keyassure] Opening issue #21: "Need to specify which crypto

On Mar 2, 2011, at 6:24 PM, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:

> There is currently no evidence that SHA2-256 is unacceptably weak.
>
> However it is based on the same construction as MD4, MD5 and SHA1. And
> thus the reason for the current NIST competition.
>

> Since the NIST competition is not currently complete, there is
> currently no viable alternative to SHA2. While there are other
> algorithms in use, I would expect the competition to supersede those
> as well.
>
> I think that what we should do here is
>
> 1) Make support for SHA2-256 and SHA2-384 REQUIRED
> 2) Ensure that it is feasible to transition from use of SHA2 to a
> new algorithm

<no hats>
Shouldn't this be much much more general? "Ensure that it is feasible
to transition to new algorithms"? <note: I don't know how we do this,
but I also don't see why "from SHA2" would be a special case>

> 3) Deprecate use of MD2,MD4,MD5 and SHA1.

Um, I'm confused by number 3 -- I think that the only things we need
to do *here* is decide what we *do* support....
Deprecating the use of other things, while fine and good, doesn't need
to happen *here* if we don't support them...

</no hats>