Re: [kitten] I-D Action: draft-ietf-kitten-sasl-saml-ec-13.txt

Alejandro Pérez Méndez <alex@um.es> Tue, 06 October 2015 12:47 UTC

To: kitten@ietf.org
From: Alejandro Pérez Méndez <alex@um.es>
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 2015 14:47:07 +0200
Subject: Re: [kitten] I-D Action: draft-ietf-kitten-sasl-saml-ec-13.txt

Dear Scott and Simon,

I have reviewed the latest version of the draft-ietf-kitten-sasl-saml-ec
(v13). In my opinion, the document is well written and very clear, and
it is relatively easy to follow if you are somewhat familiar with SAML,
SASL and GSS-API. The outline of the SAML ECP profile given in section 3
is really helpful to avoid sending the reader to check the [SAMLECP20]
document right-away , and the example given in section 6 is clarifying
and helps to understand how the proposal works.

There are however a few minor points that are not clear to me, so I'd
appreciate if you could clarify them:

#1 In the document, the difference between SAML20EC and SAML20EC-PLUS is
not clearly described. There is only a brief mention in section 4
indicating that the latter one means that ChannelBindings are supported,
but there are not further explanation nor mention. If you are not
familiar with RFC5801 (I wasn't), you need to figure out that the -PLUS
suffix comes from that document. I think adding a reference to 5801 at
this point would be useful.

#2 Section 4 is titled "SAML SASL Mechanism Specification", when I think
it would be more correct titling it as "SAML Enhanced Client SASL
Mechanism Specification" (as in the document title).

#3 Should

    "If the client is unable to obtain a response from the IdP, or must
    otherwise signal, failure, it responds to the SASL server with a
    SOAP envelope containing a SOAP fault."

actually be

    "If the client is unable to obtain a response from the IdP, or must
    otherwise signal a failure, it responds to the SASL server with a
    SOAP envelope containing a SOAP fault."

?

#4 Section 4.7. A reference to section 5.6.2 might be useful here to
figure out what a "service name" looks like.

#5 Section 4.7. Does the URI format allow using "service@host" as a
value? (just asking)

#6 Section 4.7. I found problems parsing the following sentence (I'm not
a native speaker, so please ignore my comment if the sentence is correct)

"The value MUST be securely associated with the SAML entityID claimed
    by the SASL server by the identity provider, such as ..."

To be more specific, two "by" too close in the same sentence made me
confused about who was making the association.

#7 Section 5, paragraph 2. I think referring to RFC 5801 would provide
further explanation on why this is done in this way.

#8 Section 5, paragraph 4. Should "mutual-auth" be "mut" instead?

#9 Section 5.6.2. There is a repetition of great part of the text about
the responseConsumerURL and AssertionConsumerServiceURL from section 4.7.

Best regards,
Alejandro