RE: [L2CP] RE: Wadhwa new draft 01- Encapsulation + Remode Id comments

"Sanjay Wadhwa" <swadhwa@juniper.net> Tue, 23 May 2006 21:01 UTC

Subject: RE: [L2CP] RE: Wadhwa new draft 01- Encapsulation + Remode Id comments
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 17:01:07 -0400
From: Sanjay Wadhwa <swadhwa@juniper.net>
To: stefaan.de_cnodder@alcatel.be
Cc: l2cp@ietf.org

[SW] Shaping on the BNG (based on counting bytes transmitted) needs to
know the "byte adjustment" (under/over-head) due to difference in encaps
on the aggregation network and access loop. I suppose the access-node
could indicate the absolute difference in terms of bytes between the two
encapsulations.. however, this might not be accurate as an aggregation
switch upstream of the DSLAM could change the encaps (e.g. insert an
outer VLAN tag). Ideally, the BNG needs to use the difference between
it's encaps and the encaps on the local-loop. Also, the BNG needs to
adjust for cell-tax if the local-loop is cell based.

-Sanjay