Re: [L2CP] RE: Wadhwa new draft 01- Encapsulation

stefaan.de_cnodder@alcatel.be Tue, 30 May 2006 07:49 UTC

Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 09:49:02 +0200
From: stefaan.de_cnodder@alcatel.be
To: Jakob Heitz <jheitz@redback.com>
Subject: Re: [L2CP] RE: Wadhwa new draft 01- Encapsulation
Cc: l2cp@ietf.org

> The bandwidth belongs to the access loop.
> The encapsulation belongs to the virtual circuit.
>
> We have a concept of an access loop and an identifier
> for it: Access-Loop-Circuit-ID.
>
> Do we need a concept of a virtual circuit (on an
> access loop) and a new identifier for it?

Since the Access-Loop-Circuit-ID may contain the vlan or vpi.vci, 2
virtual circuits on the same DSL line may have different
Access-Loop-Circuit-IDs. It looks to me that we already have a virtual
circuit id but that the real loop id is missing.....

If the string in the Access-Loop-Circuit-ID MUST follow the format as
described in the draft with slot/port:vpi.vci then it already contains
both the access loop and virtual circuit and nothing new is needed.
However the draft says that this is just a "typical format".

regards,
Stefaan