AW: [L2CP] Updated LC charter

"Haag, T" <Thomas.Haag@t-systems.com> Tue, 23 May 2006 10:18 UTC

From: "Haag, T" <Thomas.Haag@t-systems.com>
To: Matthew.Bocci@alcatel.co.uk
Subject: AW: [L2CP] Updated LC charter
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 12:18:32 +0200
Cc: l2cp@ietf.org

Matthew,

Please see inline my comments:

Necessary Terminology:

Access Node (AN) - Network device, usually located at a service

provider central office [Th. Haag] or street cabinet, that terminates DSL connections from

Subscribers. Often referred to as a Digital Subscriber Line Access

Multiplexer (DSLAM)

The ANCP WG will address the following four use-cases:

1. Dynamic Access Loop [Th.Haag] attributes

Various queuing and scheduling mechanisms are used in access networks

to avoid congestion while dealing with multiple flows and distinct QoS

profiles. Communicating the access-loop [Th.Haag] status and attributes and current DSL

synchronization rate between the AN and Subscriber up to the NAS is

desirable, particularly when the NAS is providing QoS for individual

flows and subscribers. ANCP will provide a mechanism to communicate

dynamic access-loop [Th.Haag] attributes from the AN to the NAS.

Non-Goals:

ANCP is an IP-based protocol that operates between the AN and NAS, over

a DSL access and aggregation network. It will not address [Th.Haag] network management operation of circuits or connections in the access and aggregation network itself [Th.Haag] but will not exclude use case relevant aspects of access and aggregation.

The focus of this WG is on one very specific application space. While

the design of the protocol should be general as to not preclude other

uses in the future should a need arise, it is not a goal of this WG

to address specific requirements outside of DSL access and aggregation

networks.

Keeping in mind the following comments of the minutes I propose the changes regarding Non-goals.

Mark Townsley:

- we should not even precule other use of the protocol in other areas....

Mark Townsley: Scoping of that group is driving to solve existing problem. We should use good engineering to build things to allow future problems but we should not try to solve everything from the start.

Regards

Thomas