Re: AW: [L2CP] Updated LC charter

Matthew.Bocci@alcatel.co.uk Tue, 23 May 2006 10:46 UTC

Subject: Re: AW: [L2CP] Updated LC charter
To: "Haag, T" <Thomas.Haag@t-systems.com>
From: Matthew.Bocci@alcatel.co.uk
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 11:40:50 +0100
Cc: l2cp@ietf.org

Thomas,

Thanks for your comments. Please see below.

Matthew

             "Haag, T"
             <Thomas.Haag@t-sy
             stems.com>                                                 To
                                       Matthew BOCCI/GB/ALCATEL@ALCATEL
             23/05/2006 11:18                                           cc
                                       l2cp@ietf.org
                                                                   Subject
                                       AW: [L2CP] Updated LC charter

Matthew,

Please see inline my comments:

?
Necessary Terminology:

Access Node (AN) - Network device, usually located at a service
provider central office [Th. Haag] or street cabinet, that terminates DSL
connections from
Subscribers. Often referred to as a Digital Subscriber Line Access
Multiplexer (DSLAM)

?
The ANCP WG will address the following four use-cases:

1. Dynamic Access Loop [Th.Haag] attributes
Various queuing and scheduling mechanisms are used in access networks
to avoid congestion while dealing with multiple flows and distinct QoS
profiles. Communicating the access-loop [Th.Haag] status and attributes and
current DSL
synchronization rate between the AN and Subscriber up to the NAS is
desirable, particularly when the NAS is providing QoS for individual
flows and subscribers. ANCP will provide a mechanism to communicate
dynamic access-loop [Th.Haag] attributes from the AN to the NAS.

?

Non-Goals:

ANCP is an IP-based protocol that operates between the AN and NAS, over
a DSL access and aggregation network. It will not address [Th.Haag] network
management operation of circuits or connections in the access and
aggregation network itself [Th.Haag] but will not exclude use case relevant
aspects of access and aggregation.

MB> We should not loose the fact that ANCP is not a signalling protocol for
the establishment of ATM or Ethernet connectivity in the aggregation
network. The current use cases do not require this, so I'm not sure that I
understand your point.

The focus of this WG is on one very specific application space. While
the design of the protocol should be general as to not preclude other
uses in the future should a need arise, it is not a goal of this WG
to address specific requirements outside of DSL access and aggregation
networks.

?
Keeping in mind the following comments of the minutes I propose the changes
regarding Non-goals.

      Mark Townsley:
      - we should not even precule other use of the protocol in other
      areas?.

      Mark Townsley: Scoping of that group is driving to solve existing
      problem. We should use good engineering to build things to allow
      future problems but we should not try to solve everything from the
      start.

Regards
Thomas