RE: AW: [L2CP] RE: Wadhwa new draft 01- Encapsulation

"Derek Harkness" <dharkness@juniper.net> Wed, 31 May 2006 19:18 UTC

Subject: RE: AW: [L2CP] RE: Wadhwa new draft 01- Encapsulation
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 20:17:36 +0100
From: Derek Harkness <dharkness@juniper.net>
To: "Haag, T" <Thomas.Haag@t-systems.com>, jheitz@redback.com
Cc: l2cp@ietf.org

Hi,
	I have been thinking about this and I think regarding L2 encapsulation and ANCP we are chasing a ghost here.

Let's think about what the access node is the exclusive source of information - and other cases where it could report but is by no means the exclusive source of information.

Note also that if I understand correctly, a motivator for the encapsulation discussion in TR 101 related to the PPPoA/PPPoE IWF in the access node - where a BRAS/BSR/NAS sees what looks like PPPoE but is on the local loop PPPoA and therefore needs different shaping. That's not an ANCP issue.

I shall term the thing doing the shaping and taking account of the overhead "the shaping point" from now on.

So, what the Access Node is the exclusive source of info for ?
1. The raw DSL BW
2. The local loop encapsulation (ATM, Ethernet)which is encoded in the DSL type.
3. Any additional overhead factors on that local loop which is I think where I came in with other overheads due to encoding, error checking and other local loop specific factors.

Other information which may be used for shaping by the shaping point is the encapsulation (PPPoE, IPOE) - which it knows as its processing the protocol in some way, plus possible additional overheads added by any intervening access network - where it must receive that info from somewhere, but this overhead is not access node specific, and therefore is out of scope for ANCP.

I.e. if I decide to build my access network using backhaul via stacked VLANs over stacked MPLS labels over GRE tunnels over IPSec tunnels etc - I exaggerate but bear with me - then that info is can be added in the local offset factors as mentioned by Jakob earlier. This I'll call (4). This information is not known to the Access Node where it is added by a network in between.

In the special case of PPPoA IWF - where the IWF is probably also the access node - there is already a defined source for such information.

Where the shaping point processes one protocol for the line then it has all info it requires ( BW(1), encapsulation - from processing - , local loop overhead (2&3)and an offset factor for a network in between(4) ).

Where the same shaping point may be terminating/processing multiple encaps on the same line - say PPPoE and IPoE - then it has sufficient information to shape to the line speed accordingly. It has to take account of these in its QoS handling.

I don't want to broaden into an architectural discussion, but where there might be multiple shaping points the issue is not one of the AN informing the shaping points as to the encapsulation(s) involved, but how those multiple shaping points know what the others are doing, which is not in the scope of the encapsulation discussion.

Informing multiple adjacencies via ANCP is I beleive covered by the charter but independent of this dicussion.

Therefore I would, in my longwinded way, agree with Jakob and allay Thomas's concern, the only potentially missing piece of the puzzle is (3).

Again, as Jakob says if this differs for different protocols this might require knowledge of IPoE vs PPPoE. But unless the AN is processing these protocols I don't see why the overhead should be different - it gets a packet, adds some encoding and sends it on the line. The case where the AN does protocol interworking is already identified for the PPPoA IWF. Otherwise it is similar to my hypothetical access network and is adding some overhead per transported packet.

Therefore the only question is how to reflect (3) - if and where any additional overhead exists - in addition to the raw BW and local loop encapsulation.

	Make sense, anyone ?

		Cheers,

			Derek.

+=============================+