Re: [L2CP] Updated LC charter

stefaan.de_cnodder@alcatel.be Wed, 24 May 2006 12:51 UTC

Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 14:51:30 +0200
From: stefaan.de_cnodder@alcatel.be
To: Matthew.Bocci@alcatel.co.uk
Subject: Re: [L2CP] Updated LC charter
Cc: l2CP@ietf.org

Hi Matthew,

In that case it is better to use the IETF terminology (NAS) and put a
reference to the relevant RFC.

One more comment on this part of the charter:

"The focus of this WG is on one very specific application space. While
the design of the protocol should be general as to not preclude other
uses in the future should a need arise, it is not a goal of this WG
to address specific requirements outside of DSL access and aggregation
networks."

This is rather vague to me. According to me the requirements are only
comming from DSL, and the WG does not have to look to solutions for
non-DSL requirements but the protocol that has to meet these
requirements has to be DSL independent. For each requirement, there must
be the necessary TLVs to meet the requirement. If a non-DSL access
network has the same requirement, then the same TLVs can be used. For
instance, advertising the bandwidth might be used for non-DSL as well,
possibly by defining some extra encapsulation types in the existing
sub-tlv if needed. This is to avoid that we have in the future many TLVs
that are actually doing the same.

Obviously, when there is a requirement to advertise certain DSL specific
attributes, then this will result in a TLV that is only relevant for DSL
but that is not a problem because non-DSL will never has this
requirement and hence will not use the TLV.

This will have impact on the protocols draft because it defines the TLV
"DSL Line Attribute" which is too specific but I believe with renaming
the TLVs/sub-TLVs and rewording the description, it can be made more
general.

regards,
Stefaan