Re: [L2sm] [L3sm] Using VPN to offer eMBB, URLLC, mMTC service

Qin Wu <bill.wu@huawei.com> Wed, 11 October 2017 05:57 UTC

From: Qin Wu <bill.wu@huawei.com>
To: Aijun Wang <wangaijun@tsinghua.org.cn>, "l3sm@ietf.org" <l3sm@ietf.org>, "l2sm@ietf.org" <l2sm@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2017 05:57:27 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.136.79.163]
Subject: Re: [L2sm] [L3sm] Using VPN to offer eMBB, URLLC, mMTC service

Thank Aijun to raise this interesting question,
I think the L3SM model has defined various customer applications by using identity,
Customer applications that can be offered by VPN include web, mail, p2p, voice, video,etc.
but new application  identities may be added through augmentation.
Yes, eMBB, URLLC, mMTC are new emerging  service that can be offered if 5G slicing want to leverage VPN technology.
But one thing I am not sure is whether service model should be aware of network slicing, to me, I think network slicing is more related to
how the service is delivered, how the resource is allocated/isolated/partitioned.
In many cases, we can take advantage of existing models developed by IETF such as I2RS topology model, TE topology model to understand underlying
Network capacity, capability, resource distribution, and then allocate resource based on customer service requirements provided by service model.

Another problem we have to offer such kind of service is:
What kind of network technology can be used to realize such service?
Yes, we can add new application identity for eMBB, URLLC, mMTC service, but I doubt we should add any other new service characteristic besides
Ones we have already defined under QoS profile in service model.

-Qin