Re: [L3sm] Comments on draft-ietf-l3sm-l3vpn-service-model

Rob Shakir <rjs@rob.sh> Wed, 22 July 2015 13:08 UTC

Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2015 14:08:34 +0100
From: Rob Shakir <rjs@rob.sh>
To: 'Kireeti Kompella' <kireeti.kompella@gmail.com>, adrian@olddog.co.uk, Benoit Claise <bclaise@cisco.com>, l3sm@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [L3sm] Comments on draft-ietf-l3sm-l3vpn-service-model

Folks,

+1 to Kireeti’s point that modularisation/mash-ups are the best way forward - we have common network designs for how e.g., an L3 edge interface works, which should not be duplicated between services. Indeed, where they are - this creates inefficiencies - such as having to change code and tooling surrounding multiple service models just to change one parameter of an interface (supporting an IP MTU of $current_value+1).

However, I can see the point that is being made by Adrian/Benoit. I might observe that this is a balance between standardisation (setting in RFC-stone), and building efficient ‘blocks’ of an overall architecture that are usable.

To me, I’m more interested in the latter, than the former. So - can we take an approach that says that we create an L3VPN service model - and stamp it as some final version (figuring out whether we can actually get to this step is interesting in and of itself) but not necessarily get out our chisels and start carving [0]? Subsequently, common elements can be pulled apart into modules that achieve the most efficient architecture.

The balance we have here is one that I think the IESG needs to approach - how do we both iterate on models (that are of course software), and get to things that can be considered ‘standards’ despite the fact that they may be refactored in the future.

Cheers,
r.

[0]: This might be done by, rather than not publishing, determining that the model’s status is really experimental, as we *know* as a WG that modularity would be very useful, if not essential, to have.