Re: [bess] WG adoption poll - draft-fang-l3vpn-virtual-pe-05

"Henderickx, Wim (Wim)" <wim.henderickx@alcatel-lucent.com> Thu, 23 October 2014 18:00 UTC

From: "Henderickx, Wim (Wim)" <wim.henderickx@alcatel-lucent.com>
To: Benson Schliesser <bensons@queuefull.net>, Thomas Morin <thomas.morin@orange.com>
Subject: Re: [bess] WG adoption poll - draft-fang-l3vpn-virtual-pe-05
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2014 18:00:07 +0000
x-originating-ip: [135.239.27.38]
Cc: L3VPN <l3vpn@ietf.org>, "bess@ietf.org" <bess@ietf.org>

For me the key question we should answer is if it does help developers implement vPE even if there is no new protocol extensions required.

From: Benson Schliesser <bensons@queuefull.net<mailto:bensons@queuefull.net>>
Date: Thursday 23 October 2014 17:02
To: Thomas Morin <thomas.morin@orange.com<mailto:thomas.morin@orange.com>>
Cc: L3VPN <l3vpn@ietf.org<mailto:l3vpn@ietf.org>>, "bess@ietf.org<mailto:bess@ietf.org>" <bess@ietf.org<mailto:bess@ietf.org>>

Hi, Thomas and BESS -

I generally agree with the sentiment expressed below. That's not to say that I object to adoption, because ongoing work on the text might result in something useful. And it certainly could be helpful to have an architecture document like this to help drive more detailed technical work.

Of course, just because we adopt a draft does not mean that we must publish it. I would support adoption of this draft with an understanding of its role in further development activities, and an acknowledgement that it could be expired and dropped if it doesn't result in useful work.

Cheers,
-Benson