Subject: RE: WG LC: draft-ietf-l3vpn-2547bis-mcast-bgp
From: "NAPIERALA, MARIA H, ATTLABS" <[email-masked]>
To: "Danny McPherson" <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 08:54:31 -0500
List-Id: <l3vpn.ietf.org>

Comments on section 13.2:

  "When as a result of receiving a new Source Active A-D route a PE
   updates its VRF with the route, the PE MUST check if the newly
   received route matches any <C-*, C-G> entries. If (a) there is a
   matching entry, (b) the PE does not have (C-S, C-G) state in its
   MVPN-TIB for (C-S, C-G) carried in the route, and (c) the received
   route is selected as the best(using the BGP route selection
   procedures), then the PE sets up its forwarding path to receive (C-S,
   C-G) traffic from the tunnel the originator of the selected Source
   Active A-D route uses for sending (C-S, C-G)."

The condition (b) above excludes the following case: a PE that received
a Source Active A-D route for (C-S,C-G) has both (C-*, C-G) and (C-S,
C-G) states in its MVPN-TIB (because its locally attached site switched
to SPT for C-S). If this PE does not join the tunnel used for C-S
traffic, this PE will not receive the C-S traffic.

Also, the section 13.2 has no procedure for the case when a PE that
received a Source Active A-D route for (C-S,C-G) has the (C-S,C-G) state
but not the (C-*, C-G) state in its MVPN-FIB. This could be the case,
for example, when the PE is attached to (a site with) C-RP but it is not
directly attached to any (C-*, C-G) receiver sites, except those behind
the C-RP. This PE will also have to join the tunnel used for C-S traffic
to deliver traffic to those receivers.

Maria

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
> Of Danny McPherson
> Sent: Friday, November 21, 2008 8:52 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: WG LC: draft-ietf-l3vpn-2547bis-mcast-bgp
> 
> 
> Please consider today the start of a 2-week last call
> for draft-ietf-l3vpn-2547bis-mcast-bgp, available here:
> 
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-l3vpn-2547bis-mcast-bgp-05
> 
> Input on this draft's suitability for publication as an
> Internet Standards Track document is solicited, feedback
> ends December 9, 2008.
> 
> Thanks in advance for your feedback!
> 
> Danny & Marshall