Re: [Lake] COSE IANA registrations in EDHOC (Was: New Version Notification for draft-ietf-lake-edhoc-09.txt)

Carsten Bormann <cabo@tzi.org> Tue, 24 August 2021 08:05 UTC

From: Carsten Bormann <cabo@tzi.org>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2021 10:04:54 +0200
Cc: Michael Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ca>, "lake@ietf.org" <lake@ietf.org>, "cose@ietf.org" <cose@ietf.org>
To: Göran Selander <goran.selander=40ericsson.com@dmarc.ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Lake] COSE IANA registrations in EDHOC (Was: New Version Notification for draft-ietf-lake-edhoc-09.txt)

I see.

So, you are saying, this will be a “using EDHOC in COSE” specification, still normative, but referenced from EDHOC as informative as EDHOC works without COSE.

Yes, it is always hard to position a “using X in Y” draft between the X and Y working groups — after all, the two ends of this draft need to fit X and Y, respectively.  If the EDHOC specification truly doesn’t need the contents of this specification, then I can see moving them into a COSE document.  But I think it is as expedient to keep them together in one document.  The only strong reason to split the document would be to avoid a long wait while COSE is deciding on some controversial content of the extracted spec.  Do we foresee such a delay?

Grüße, Carsten