Re: [Lake] Lake charter call for comments

Dan Garcia <dan.garcia@um.es> Tue, 10 September 2019 11:58 UTC

Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2019 13:57:58 +0200
From: Dan Garcia <dan.garcia@um.es>
To: Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu>
CC: lake@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Lake] Lake charter call for comments

Hello Ben, all,

I support this work. The current charter looks ok.

Best Regards,

Dan García.

De: Lake <lake-bounces@ietf.org> en nombre de ivaylo petrov <ivaylo@ackl.io>
Fecha: martes, 10 de septiembre de 2019, 9:27
Para: Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu>
CC: <lake@ietf.org>
Asunto: Re: [Lake] Lake charter call for comments

Hello Ben,

I support this work and the proposed charter looks good to me.

Best regards,

Ivaylo

On Wed, Sep 4, 2019 at 6:57 AM Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu> wrote:

Hi all,

Thanks to everyone for the feedback so far.  In the interest of moving from
an informal post-BoF discussion to a more structured path forward, this
message starts a two-week last call for comments and consensus on a LAKE
charter.  I've tried to incorporate the feedback from Martin and Göran
(though my editorial hand couldn't resist a few tweaks; all errors are
mine), and my apologies to anyone whose comments I missed.  Depending on
how discussion goes, additional revisions may be posted during the comment
period to help achieve better clarity.  If we get good agreement here, then
the charter can go to the IESG and IAB for the formal approval process
(including IETF LC).  Please reply even you have no specific comments; the
IESG and IAB need to be able to gauge the level of community support for
and interest in the proposed work.

Thanks,

Ben

==[ CHARTER ]==
Problem

Constrained environments using OSCORE in network environments such as
NB-IoT, 6TiSCH, and LoRaWAN need a ‘lightweight’ authenticated key
exchange (LAKE) that enables forward security.  'Lightweight' refers to:

  * resource consumption, measured by number of round-trips to complete,
    bytes on the wire, wall-clock time to complete, or power consumption
  * the amount of new code required on end systems which already have an
    OSCORE stack

Goals

This working group is intended to be a narrowly focused activity
intended to produce at most one LAKE for OSCORE usage and close.

The working group will collaborate and coordinate with other IETF WGs
such as ACE, CORE, 6TISCH, and LPWAN to understand and validate the
requirements and solution.  draft-selander-ace-cose-ecdhe is a candidate
starting point for the LAKE produced by the WG.  Any work available from
the TLS WG that satisfies the determined requirements will also be
evaluated for suitability.

Program of Work

The deliverables of this WG are:

1. Design requirements of the lightweight authenticated key exchange
protocol for OSCORE (this draft will not be published as an RFC but will be
used to drive WG consensus on the deliverable (2)

2. Specify a lightweight authenticated key exchange protocol suitable for
use in constrained environments using OSCORE
==[ CHARTER ]==