Re: [Last-Call] [OAUTH-WG] Last Call: <draft-ietf-oauth-jwt-introspection-response-09.txt> (JWT Response for OAuth Token Introspection) to Proposed Standard

Denis <denis.ietf@free.fr> Tue, 25 August 2020 16:26 UTC

To: last-call@ietf.org
From: Denis <denis.ietf@free.fr>
Cc: oauth@ietf.org
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2020 18:26:50 +0200
Subject: Re: [Last-Call] [OAUTH-WG] Last Call: <draft-ietf-oauth-jwt-introspection-response-09.txt> (JWT Response for OAuth Token Introspection) to Proposed Standard

Here is an additional comment:

The text mentions in the Introduction:

    In example is a resource server using verified person data
    to create certificates, which in turn are used to create qualified
    electronic signatures.

The problem is the following: the AS has no way to verify that the User
has effectively authorized the RS
to use the JWT Response for such a purpose. A "User Consent" phase for
such a usage has not been addressed.

This concern is identified in RFC 6973 as:

5.2.3.  Secondary Use

    Secondary use is the use of collected information about an individual
    without the individual’s consent for a purpose different from that
    for which the information was collected.  Secondary use may violate
    people’s expectations or desires.  The potential for secondary use
    can generate uncertainty as to how one’s information will be used in
    the future, potentially discouraging information exchange in the
    first place.  Secondary use encompasses any use of data, including
    disclosure.

The progression of this draft is really questionable. The User has
currently no way to allow or to disallow this protocol
which is between a RS and an AS.  It would not be reasonable to say that
this concern is outside the scope of this draft.

Denis