Re: [Last-Call] Last Call: BCP 83 PR-Action Against Dan Harkins

John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com> Sat, 01 October 2022 02:45 UTC

Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2022 22:45:03 -0400
From: John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>
To: Rob Sayre <sayrer@gmail.com>, Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>
cc: last-call@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Last-Call] Last Call: BCP 83 PR-Action Against Dan Harkins

Rob, Tim,

An observation although I think we are sliding off-topic.

Recent decision patterns that have the effect of spinning almost
anything that starts to get traction on the ietf@ list off into
a specialized list tends to change the S/N ratio and the
proportion of potentially disruptive or abusive traffic for the
worse, just because there is less useful and constructive
traffic left.  That has nothing to do with this particular
action which, as I have written the IESG privately, I think is
justified (and I agree about the  "overdue" part too).   I also
think that some of the ways of thinking about the issues and
behavior might be more nuanced and that the action would be
justified without what some impartial observers might consider
reciprocal name-calling (a problem Dan himself illustrated in a
recent note).  However, if we are thinking about making changes
either to the IETF list charter or to BCP 83 itself, I'd
encourage people to think through the implications and
consequences of other decisions that might interact, even in
non-obvious ways, and be careful about what we wish for.

     john

--On Friday, September 30, 2022 16:25 -0700 Rob Sayre