Re: [Ldap-dir] DLAP Directorate review request for draft-dawkins-ldapext-subnot

Kurt Zeilenga <Kurt.Zeilenga@Isode.com> Mon, 09 November 2009 07:26 UTC

From: Kurt Zeilenga <Kurt.Zeilenga@Isode.com>
Date: Sun, 08 Nov 2009 23:25:56 -0800
To: Leif Johansson <leifj@it.su.se>
Cc: Lisa Dusseault <lisa.dusseault@gmail.com>, LDAP Directorate <ldap-dir@ietf.org>, Spencer Dawkins <spencer@wonderhamster.org>, Xun Peng <xunpeng@huawei.com>
Subject: Re: [Ldap-dir] DLAP Directorate review request for draft-dawkins-ldapext-subnot

It seems to me we that we have "good enough" content synchronization
mechanisms in LDAP, but don't have any (formalized) event notification
mechanism.

For instance, consider an intrusion detection system which wants
notification of all password change requests, including information
about the requestor and the outcome of the request.  At present, such
systems tend to rely on vendor-specific audit logs.

I could support an effort to analysis requirements for event
notification and, then, build a mechanism specifically designed to met
these requirements.

What I don't support is designing yet another "content
synchronization" mechanism.

But what does 3GPP want?  It seems to me they were more after content
synchronization than event notification.

It's not clear to me whether you are after content synchronization
than event notification.

-- Kurt