Re: [ldapext] RFC2307, netgroups, DBIS

Mark R Bannister <dbis@proseconsulting.co.uk> Wed, 11 February 2015 12:11 UTC

Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2015 12:11:12 +0000
From: Mark R Bannister <dbis@proseconsulting.co.uk>
To: =?windows-1252?Q?Michael_Str=F6der?= <michael@stroeder.com>
Cc: ldapext@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [ldapext] RFC2307, netgroups, DBIS

On 04/02/2015 23:18, Michael Ströder wrote:
> Mark R Bannister wrote:
>> michael@stroeder.com wrote:
>>> Maybe I did not look closely enough. Could you please point me to some text
>>> describing the specific deficiencies you solved in more detail?
>> Have at look at the abstract on page 2 of
>> http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-bannister-dbis-mapping-06.txt.  One of the first
>> biggest requirements was reintroducing case sensitivity in a way that would be
>> fully compatible with NIS, see the description of the en (4.2) and rn (4.3)
>> attributes in particular.
> Yes, case-sensitive matching is an issue and I already saw that text in your
> drafts. I've simply added additional local constraints to the config limiting
> e.g. attribute 'uid' to lower-case values. So it was not that important to me.

"Not that important to me" suggests, once again, that you are coming up
with a point solution,
and not a solution that could be widely adopted.  I have designed a
replacement for an RFC
that can be very widely adopted.  Your approach to the 'uid' attribute
precludes any other
use of this attribute within the same directory server by other
applications and is not
standards-compliant.

As in http://sourceforge.net/p/dbis/wiki/Aliases.

>> Legacy unices ... depends how old we're talking.  I currently have something
>> that works on RHEL4.8 and newer, and the large organisations I have spent most
>> of my time with over the past 5 years are at a point where RHEL4.8 is their
>> oldest legacy now.
> That's pretty old right now.

Indeed it is, and DBIS will run on them.  So I am supporting legacy unices.

>> Strange appliances - not unless I can get the vendor to add support for DBIS.
> And that is exactly the point.

That is no different with any new technology.  As uptake spreads, and
customer demands increase, vendors
add support for the new stuff.  As DBIS works with the old
RFC2307/RFC2307bis schema as well, customers
can begin to use DBIS right away on the unices that they have control
over, while the appliances can
continue to use the same data the old way.  Then the pressure increases
on those vendors and over time
they move to the new way too.  Change has to start somewhere.

>> However, even the appliances I've worked with support local class & attribute
>> remapping rules,
> Unfortunately there are counter examples where you cannot configure local
> class & attribute remapping rules.

Fine, then in those cases you use the RFC2307 schema and the new DBIS
clients you install can be
configured to use it with no trouble:
http://sourceforge.net/p/dbis/wiki/ConfigurationMaps-RFC2307

>>> My approach is to lower the configuration level the client has to support by
>>> filtering what's delivered to the client at the LDAP server.
>> By filtering, you mean just removing entries from maps?
> Yes, making users, user groups and sudoers entries invisible if the client is
> not authorized to see them.

You could do that with DBIS too, if you wanted.  You could either use
netgroup constraints
<http://sourceforge.net/p/dbis/wiki/Netgroup%20Constraints/> (client-side),
and if you really want server-side restrictions in place, split the maps
up into separate places in the DIT
and use ACLs to restrict which hosts can see them.  Don't forget that
DBIS can join entries from many
different places in a DIT into a single coherent map, and it uses
netgroups to determine which hosts
should get which pieces of the map.

Best regards,
Mark.