Re: [ldapext] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-stroeder-mailboxrelatedobject-06.txt

Sean Leonard <dev+ietf@seantek.com> Fri, 26 September 2014 15:22 UTC

Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2014 08:21:47 -0700
From: Sean Leonard <dev+ietf@seantek.com>
To: ldapext@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [ldapext] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-stroeder-mailboxrelatedobject-06.txt

Since I'm new to this list, I searched ietf.org and noticed that this
draft has not gotten a lot of discussion. If my search was inaccurate, I
apologize in advance for bringing up previously discussed issues.

Storing internationalized e-mail addresses in LDAP-related protocols
raises a lot of novel issues that I do not think are adequately
addressed by this draft. Accordingly, this work ought to be brought up
to other IETF areas, namely the apps and security areas.

As one example, security-related protocols such as PKIX certificate use
distinguished names as an integral part of the protocol. There are
already issues with the relationship between the "emailAddress"
attribute and authentication of the e-mail address (namely the
rfc822Name component of a GeneralName); the fact that mail and
emailAddress are two separate attributes (with more-or-less the same
meaning) only makes matters worse. I can certainly envision applications
that display LDAP or security names, where adding this intlMailAddr
would serve to confuse or attack users. This makes me wonder if it is
better to extend the syntax of emailAddress so that it is a CHOICE of
IA5String or UTF8String. There are lots of reasons against that, but
there are lots of reasons for it too.

Furthermore, where there's a will, there's a way--since the security
area has not yet standardized on how to integrate EAI into PKIX or other
places, I can easily see people starting to stuff intlMailAddr into
those protocols as a non-standard way to get what the market needs.

This draft does not refer to the EAI work normatively, but the EAI work
is normative with respect to the format of e-mail addresses. EAI also
probably has some say in how to compare e-mail addresses for equality
(which has a cascading effect on application protocols such as LDAP, in
addition to security protocols).

Finally, I assume that the choice of DirectoryString is for convenience,
since "most" LDAP implementations will pick DirectoryString by default.
But EAI exclusively defines the encoding of an internationalized e-mail
address as UTF-8, which means that the repetoire of EAI is virtually all
Unicode characters. It puts considerable additional burden on
implementations to take a DirectoryString in one of the less-used
formats, such as TeletexString, and parse it into Unicode. (The
character sets that can be encoded in TeletexString may not be bijective
with respect to Unicode, introducing exploitable ambiguities.)*
Therefore, I think that the value should be UTF8String alone.

Sean

*In 2011 I wrote "ASN.1 Teletexer", an ISO C implementation that
converts TeletexString to Unicode.
<https://www.seantek.com/asn1teletexer/> So I'm pretty familiar with
this minefield.