Re: [lemonade] Regarding CONDSTORE IMAP extension

Timo Sirainen <tss@iki.fi> Mon, 02 December 2013 23:23 UTC

From: Timo Sirainen <tss@iki.fi>
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2013 01:23:11 +0200
To: Chris Newman <chris.newman@oracle.com>
Cc: lemonade@ietf.org, Alexey Melnikov <alexey.melnikov@isode.com>
Subject: Re: [lemonade] Regarding CONDSTORE IMAP extension

On 3.12.2013, at 1.10, Chris Newman <chris.newman@oracle.com> wrote:

> Servers are free to not return HIGHESTMODSEQ at all until a condstore-enabling command occurs, and then they MUST return either HIGHESTMODSEQ or NOMODSEQ.

Ah. Hmm. I guess I missed that part when originally implementing it because of these two paragraphs below. Maybe rfc5162bis should clarify these a bit? Oh, and looks like Dovecot is actually first returning NOMODSEQ, not HIGHESTMODSEQ 1 as Samsung’s message said. Maybe that server isn’t Dovecot after all. Anyway, with this great new info I’ll just have Dovecot not send either NOMODSEQ or HIGHESTMODSEQ until CONDSTORE/QRESYNC is enabled, although of course that won’t help with any old installations.

3.1.  New OK Untagged Responses for SELECT and EXAMINE

   When opening a mailbox, the server must check if the mailbox supports
   the persistent storage of mod-sequences.  If the mailbox supports the
   persistent storage of mod-sequences and the mailbox open operation
   succeeds, the server MUST send the OK untagged response including
   HIGHESTMODSEQ response code.  If the persistent storage for the
   mailbox is not supported, the server MUST send the OK untagged
   response including NOMODSEQ response code instead.

3.1.1.  HIGHESTMODSEQ Response Code

   This document adds a new response code that is returned in the OK
   untagged response for the SELECT and EXAMINE commands.  A server
   supporting the persistent storage of mod-sequences for the mailbox
   MUST send the OK untagged response including HIGHESTMODSEQ response
   code with every successful SELECT or EXAMINE command: