Re: registration request for dns-prefetch, preconnect, prefetch, and prerender link relation types

Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net> Fri, 05 February 2016 02:56 UTC

Subject: Re: registration request for dns-prefetch, preconnect, prefetch, and prerender link relation types
From: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 2016 13:56:14 +1100
To: Erik Wilde <erik.wilde@dret.net>
Cc: Ilya Grigorik <igrigorik@gmail.com>, link-relations <link-relations@ietf.org>

Just a couple of nits.

> On 2 Feb 2016, at 6:47 am, Erik Wilde <erik.wilde@dret.net> wrote:
>
> hello mark.
>
> thanks for the feedback.
>
> On 2016-01-30 18:10, Mark Nottingham wrote:
>> So something like this would be clearer:
>> """
>> Indicates a resource that might be required by the next navigation, and that user agents ought to fetch and execute to improve performance.
>> """
>
> https://github.com/w3c/resource-hints/pull/54 contains a slightly different change, but one that does incorporate the changes you suggested.
>
> the spec has been republished, and https://www.w3.org/TR/2016/WD-resource-hints-20160201/#iana-considerations lists the updated registration requests:
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Relation Name: dns-prefetch
> Description: The dns-prefetch link relation type is used to indicate an origin that will be used to fetch required resources, and that the user agent SHOULD resolve as early as possible.

* The first words are repetitive (we already know its name). Suggest:

* It's nice to talk explicitly about the link context, e.g.:

... indicate an origin that will be used to fetch required resources for the link's context...

* Putting RFC1918 requirements in a registry entry is weird. Suggest:

... that the user agent ought to resolve as early as possible.

That gives us:

Description: Used to indicate an origin that will be used to fetch required resources for the link context, and that the user agent ought to resolve as early as possible.

Does that make sense?

Same comments for the relations below.

Cheers,

--