Re: [lisp] LISP EID Block Size

jnc@mercury.lcs.mit.edu (Noel Chiappa) Thu, 31 October 2013 17:08 UTC

To: lisp@ietf.org
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2013 13:08:18 -0400
From: jnc@mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Cc: jnc@mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Subject: Re: [lisp] LISP EID Block Size

    > From: Dino Farinacci <farinacci@gmail.com>

    > We are not saying this entire block is being used for global deployment
    > of LISP.  And no one is saying LISP can't succeed without this block.
    > It does not mean that the current forwarding paradigm does not work
    > or cannot work.
    > We must not and will not require reassignment of addresses to use
    > LISP. ... existing allocations and futures allocations can be EIDs.

These are all _really_ excellent points, and the document should make them
clearly, and at the top. (Sorry if it already does this - haven't read any
recent versions, too busy.) And also the point about how the special prefix
is not going to be the way we determine whether an address is an EID.

    > An address becomes an EID when it no longer is advertised by an edge BGP
    > router (from a tail or stub portion of the Internet topology).

Minor quibble, because I prefer the 'is there a mapping available' as the
'gold standard' test for EID-ness.

For backward compatability with 'legacy' hosts, many EIDs _are_ advertized
into the global routing (either by the ETR, or a PITR, etc), so 'in/not-in
the global routing table' doesn't tell us much about EID-ness.

   Noel