Re: [lisp] LISP EID Block Size

jnc@mercury.lcs.mit.edu (Noel Chiappa) Thu, 31 October 2013 15:33 UTC

To: lisp@ietf.org
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2013 11:32:35 -0400 (EDT)
From: jnc@mercury.lcs.mit.edu (Noel Chiappa)
Cc: jnc@mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Subject: Re: [lisp] LISP EID Block Size

    > From: Rene Bartsch <ietf@bartschnet.de>

    > Having the possibility to establish global, provider-independant
    > network-roaming for consumers with LISP, a /16 with 2^32 /48 will not
    > suffice for each natural person on this planet.

Giving a PI block to every person on the planet is an 'interesting' idea, but
I don't see that it has much connection with this experiment - which is, as I
just pointed out to Geoff, to experiment with 'facial' EIDs.

(Although I can see that if 'facial' EIDs turn out to have important
advantages over 'regular' EIDs, people might want 'personal' PI blocks to be
'facial' EIDs.)

    > In fact I'm already considering the requirements for global,
    > provider-independant network-roaming for consumers.

I am fairly sure that this is outside the scope of this WG. I'm not sure where
is; perhaps someone who's more familiar with the current broad scope of IETF
efforts can point out the appropriate place for that.

Obviously, if personal PI blocks happen, they will need some sort of
identity/location suppport to make them work, but LISP is only one possibility
for that.

	Noel