Re: [lisp] WG Last Call on draft-ietf-lisp-eid-block-mgmnt-02

"Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com> Wed, 08 October 2014 18:29 UTC

Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2014 14:29:22 -0400
From: "Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com>
To: Marc Binderberger <marc@sniff.de>, Roger Jorgensen <rogerj@gmail.com>, drc@virtualized.org, Luigi Iannone <ggx@gigix.net>
Cc: "lisp@ietf.org" <lisp@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [lisp] WG Last Call on draft-ietf-lisp-eid-block-mgmnt-02

The document is very clear that any potential transition to permanent
allocation would have to be discussed and coordianted with multiple
parties, including the RIRs.

Equally, until such time as a permanent allocation is made, the document
is not declaring the RIRs to be "the " allocation authority.  If the
RIRs can and wish to engage in LISP EID allocation in accordance with
the policy, they can.  But the document does not promise the role to them.

It may, or may not, make sesen if and when we do a permanent allocation
to specify a role for the RIRs.  That however will be negotiated then.

Yours,
Joel