Re: [lisp] WG Last Call on draft-lisp-introduction-07

Terry Manderson <terry.manderson@icann.org> Mon, 27 October 2014 23:38 UTC

From: Terry Manderson <terry.manderson@icann.org>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 23:37:44 +0000
x-originating-ip: [58.107.31.48]
Cc: Damien Saucez <damien.saucez@inria.fr>
Subject: Re: [lisp] WG Last Call on draft-lisp-introduction-07

Kudos to the editors..

Some nits I noticed:

Intro, para 3 s/and mobility among others benefits/and mobility among
other benefits/

Lisp Architecture para 1, "inetrworking" - please fix

Overview of the architecture:
	Para 1: s/LISP splits architecturally/LISP architecturally splits/
	Para 1: "time of this writing" 'this' is probably superfluous here.

	Para 3: s/in this context RLOCs can be thought of Provider Aggregatable
addresses/in this context RLOCs can be thought of as Provider Aggregatable
addresses

Traffic engineering
	Para 1: suggest: s/routing informations are propagated along/routing
information is propagated along/
	Para 1: suggest: s/way routing information are propagated/way routing
information is further propagated/

LISP for IPv6 Co-existence"

	Parai 1: suggest s/LISP encapsulations permits to transport packets/LISP
encapsulation permits transportation of packets/

LISP for Virtual Machine Mobility in Data Centers

	Para1: s/machine mobility in data center/machine mobility in the data
center/

One wording suggestion:

para 3:

Additionally, LISP's approach to solve the routing scalability problem
[RFC4984] is that with LISP the Internet core is populated with RLOCs
while Traffic Engineering mechanisms are pushed to the Mapping System.
With this RLOCs are quasi-static (i.e., low churn) and hence, the routing
system scalable [Quoitin] while EIDs can roam anywhere with no churn to
the underlying routing system.

suggested

Additionally, LISP's approach to solve the routing scalability problem
[RFC4984] populates the Internet core with RLOCs while Traffic Engineering
mechanisms are pushed to a Mapping System. This means RLOCs are
quasi-static (i.e., low churn) and hence, the routing system scalability
properties improved [Quoitin] while EIDs can then roam anywhere without
churn impact on the underlying routing system.

Other comments

It could be a matter of style, but I found the repeated "With LISP .." to
start sentences and paragraphs (in the first 3 paras) a little grating on
me.

I think the diagrams and descriptions are very helpful.. even for someone
who has read a fair chunk of the LISP documents.

I like the way the mobility section is handled. :-) Perfectly;y
appropriate IMHO.

Given this document takes a lot of work and produces a 'readers digest'
version, I agree with the other comments that it is well constructed and
free from technical errors and pending a few minutes to check over my
comments above, ready to start the shepherding journey.

Cheers
Terry