Re: [lisp] [ipdir] LISP WG

"Templin, Fred L" <Fred.L.Templin@boeing.com> Fri, 13 March 2009 18:00 UTC

Return-Path: <Fred.L.Templin@boeing.com>
X-Original-To: lisp@core3.amsl.com
Delivered-To: lisp@core3.amsl.com
Received: from localhost (localhost [127.0.0.1]) by core3.amsl.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id 769593A6978 for <lisp@core3.amsl.com>; Fri, 13 Mar 2009 11:00:06 -0700 (PDT)
X-Virus-Scanned: amavisd-new at amsl.com
X-Spam-Flag: NO
X-Spam-Score: -6.094
X-Spam-Level:
X-Spam-Status: No, score=-6.094 tagged_above=-999 required=5 tests=[AWL=0.505, BAYES_00=-2.599, RCVD_IN_DNSWL_MED=-4]
Received: from mail.ietf.org ([64.170.98.32]) by localhost (core3.amsl.com [127.0.0.1]) (amavisd-new, port 10024) with ESMTP id 9PzQjpJF7sNR for <lisp@core3.amsl.com>; Fri, 13 Mar 2009 11:00:05 -0700 (PDT)
Received: from slb-smtpout-01.boeing.com (slb-smtpout-01.boeing.com [130.76.64.48]) by core3.amsl.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id B38F13A6855 for <lisp@ietf.org>; Fri, 13 Mar 2009 11:00:05 -0700 (PDT)
Received: from blv-av-01.boeing.com (blv-av-01.boeing.com [130.247.48.231]) by slb-smtpout-01.ns.cs.boeing.com (8.14.0/8.14.0/8.14.0/SMTPOUT) with ESMTP id n2DI0Sp1011247 (version=TLSv1/SSLv3 cipher=DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA bits=256 verify=OK); Fri, 13 Mar 2009 11:00:33 -0700 (PDT)
Received: from blv-av-01.boeing.com (localhost [127.0.0.1]) by blv-av-01.boeing.com (8.14.0/8.14.0/DOWNSTREAM_RELAY) with ESMTP id n2DI0S5H006672; Fri, 13 Mar 2009 11:00:28 -0700 (PDT)
Received: from XCH-NWBH-11.nw.nos.boeing.com (xch-nwbh-11.nw.nos.boeing.com [130.247.55.84]) by blv-av-01.boeing.com (8.14.0/8.14.0/UPSTREAM_RELAY) with ESMTP id n2DI0R6B006641; Fri, 13 Mar 2009 11:00:28 -0700 (PDT)
Received: from XCH-NW-7V2.nw.nos.boeing.com ([130.247.54.35]) by XCH-NWBH-11.nw.nos.boeing.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC(6.0.3790.3959); Fri, 13 Mar 2009 11:00:25 -0700
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft Exchange V6.5
Content-class: urn:content-classes:message
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 11:00:24 -0700
Message-ID: <39C363776A4E8C4A94691D2BD9D1C9A105B0AC71@XCH-NW-7V2.nw.nos.boeing.com>
In-Reply-To: <20090313173622.6975B6BE60B@mercury.lcs.mit.edu>
X-MS-Has-Attach:
X-MS-TNEF-Correlator:
Thread-Topic: [lisp] [ipdir] LISP WG
Thread-Index: AcmkAkV05JhWJ1C8S1SEOppqhqGNfAAAIpPg
References: <20090313173622.6975B6BE60B@mercury.lcs.mit.edu>
From: "Templin, Fred L" <Fred.L.Templin@boeing.com>
To: "Noel Chiappa" <jnc@mercury.lcs.mit.edu>, <lisp@ietf.org>
X-OriginalArrivalTime: 13 Mar 2009 18:00:25.0730 (UTC) FILETIME=[9620E620:01C9A405]
Subject: Re: [lisp] [ipdir] LISP WG
X-BeenThere: lisp@ietf.org
X-Mailman-Version: 2.1.9
Precedence: list
List-Id: List for the discussion of the Locator/ID Separation Protocol <lisp.ietf.org>
List-Unsubscribe: <https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lisp>, <mailto:lisp-request@ietf.org?subject=unsubscribe>
List-Archive: <http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/lisp>
List-Post: <mailto:lisp@ietf.org>
List-Help: <mailto:lisp-request@ietf.org?subject=help>
List-Subscribe: <https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lisp>, <mailto:lisp-request@ietf.org?subject=subscribe>
X-List-Received-Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 18:00:06 -0000

Noel,

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Noel Chiappa [mailto:jnc@mercury.lcs.mit.edu]
> Sent: Friday, March 13, 2009 10:36 AM
> To: lisp@ietf.org
> Cc: jnc@mercury.lcs.mit.edu
> Subject: Re: [lisp] [ipdir] LISP WG
> 
> 
>     > From: "Templin, Fred L" <Fred.L.Templin@boeing.com>
> 
>     > An EID *does* identify an endpoint's interface, however.
Therefore, I
>     > believe a more accurate expansion of the term is Endpoint
*Interface*
>     > iDentifier (EID).
> 
> When you say "An EID", you mean a LISP EID, right?
> 
> Since there are 'LISP EIDs' and 'Classic EIDs' (sorry, couldn't resist
:-),
> we need to be careful with use of the term 'EID', lest more confusion
reign.
> I think I personally will start using the acronym LEID in the future,
to be
> very explicit. (It's only one more keystrokem, and to me seems well
worth the
> work to make confusion on this point impossible.)
> 
> After thinking about it briefly, I guess an LEID does _currently_ name
an
> interface, not a stack - especially in an un-modified host.

Agree for an unmodified host.

> I say "_currently_" because I can also see a future in which i) the
LISP
> 'boundary' is the first-hop router everywhere, and the LEID no longer
holds
> any location semantics, and ii) _some_ hosts have therefore been
modified so
> that they have only a single IPv4 'address', which explicitly names
the stack.
> (Remember that in my mind LISP is not just what is in the current
documents,
> but also a long-term development path of which the current stuff is
only step
> 1 of about 5 - or more.)

IP addresses (of which the LISP EID is an example) name
interfaces. If you assign a LISP EID to a loopback interface
of an xTR, then in some sense it also names the stack. But,
the address still has location semantics of a sort (maybe
call it node-local scope) and it only names one of the
xTR's stacks, which may in fact have many.

Fred
fred.l.templin@boeing.com

> Although maybe that's not such a good idea... I think you want to be
able to
> name specific interfaces. Although now that I think about it briefly,
it would
> be cleaner/more correct to do that in a new 'locator' namespace (step
2 or 3
> of the aforementioned 5 or so).
> 
> 	Noel
> _______________________________________________
> lisp mailing list
> lisp@ietf.org
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lisp