Re: [lisp] WG Last Call on draft-ietf-lisp-eid-block-mgmnt-02

Marc Binderberger <marc@sniff.de> Wed, 08 October 2014 18:49 UTC

Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2014 11:49:23 -0700
From: Marc Binderberger <marc@sniff.de>
To: "Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com>
Cc: Roger Jorgensen <rogerj@gmail.com>, "lisp@ietf.org" <lisp@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [lisp] WG Last Call on draft-ietf-lisp-eid-block-mgmnt-02

Hello Joel,

> The document is very clear that any potential transition to permanent
> allocation would have to be discussed and coordianted with multiple
> parties, including the RIRs.

Correct, the document is saying this. Maybe I have a different idea of "very
clear" though, all it says there must be a discussion.
I would prefer a clear statement that these policies are ending either when
the EID block experiment ends (obvious) or when the EID block turns into
something permanent.

> Equally, until such time as a permanent allocation is made, the document is
> not declaring the RIRs to be "the " allocation authority.

Agree - and I'm not making such a statement.

> If the RIRs can
> and wish to engage in LISP EID allocation in accordance with the policy,
> they can.  But the document does not promise the role to them.

If the document deviates from how RIRs operate then the document should not
be valid at the point any LISP EID blocks becomes permanent. My opinion.

> It may, or may not, make sesen if and when we do a permanent allocation to
> specify a role for the RIRs.  That however will be negotiated then.

This "may or may not" is the vagueness I mentioned and why I express my lack
of comfort with the document.

Let me word it differently: the EID block as a sandbox for a large-scale,
real-life experiment to learn how LISP becomes (or is already)
production-ready for the Internet - great idea. Beyond that I don't see a
need for anything special or different for LISP and we have working
procedures how to allocate/assign address space. This is also the promise,
that LISP is blending in.

Regards, Marc