Re: [lisp] LISP Interworking: Proxy Egress Tunnel Routers

"Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com> Mon, 21 September 2009 14:26 UTC

Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 10:27:42 -0400
From: "Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com>
To: Robin Whittle <rw@firstpr.com.au>
Cc: lisp@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [lisp] LISP Interworking: Proxy Egress Tunnel Routers

I think that there is a distinction that is important to keep in mind.
First, some assumptions I make:
For LISP to work, it has to be deployable.
Deployability includes the presence of suitable incentives for
deployment.  That clearly includes appropriate balance of financial
incentives and disincentives.

For many parts of this system, that is straightforward, and does not
involve business models.

For PTRs and PETRs there does appear to be a question about what the
incentives for deployment are going to be.  Who will deploy them, and why?

It is quite reasonable, and I think necessary, to discuss what possible
incentives there are, who needs to deploy the things, and why they might
do so.
The distinction I draw is between that and "a thorough set of possible
business models."  We are not trying to explore the space of business
models, or determine whether this is compatible with every one.  We do
not even have to do a full economic analysis confirming that there is a
business model that covers everything.

Phrased differently, I think we need to convince ourselves that the
business model has enough solidity that it may succeed.  After that, the
experiments should help us tell who is interested, and what the actual
costs are, etc...  Our initial evaluation needs to look at overall
incentives and overall costs, not details of business models.

Yours,
Joel