Re: [lisp] LISP Interworking: Proxy Egress Tunnel Routers

Sam Hartman <hartmans-ietf@mit.edu> Sun, 20 September 2009 15:32 UTC

To: jnc@mercury.lcs.mit.edu
From: Sam Hartman <hartmans-ietf@mit.edu>
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 11:33:09 -0400
Cc: lisp@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [lisp] LISP Interworking: Proxy Egress Tunnel Routers

    >> From: Robin Whittle <rw@firstpr.com.au> AFAIK, you haven't
    >> specified the commercial relationship between the operator of
    >> the LISP node and the operator of the PETR which it uses.

    Noel> Right, but obvious commercial arrangements are outside the
    Noel> IETF scope. If your point was that you can't see that there
    Noel> will be any economically workable arrangement, that I think
    Noel> would be something that should concern us.  As to that, I
    Noel> have no idea...

Noel, Dan and I have both commented on why many business model aspects
are in scope here in terms of management, operability, and security.

I understand there is a claim generally held to be true that business
models are out of scope for the IETF.  There are certainly aspects of
that claim that are very true.

However, deployment, management, operations and security are all very
much in scope for this working group. As such, a large number of
business relationship discussions are in scope, especially initially.

It's possibl things may get out of hand, but let us start by being
inclusive rather than trying to shut people down in the first couple
messages of a thread.

Sam Hartman
LISP co-chair.