Re: [lisp] Additional Points, RE: Progress on threats document

Damien Saucez <damien.saucez@inria.fr> Thu, 26 February 2015 18:39 UTC

From: Damien Saucez <damien.saucez@inria.fr>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2015 19:38:58 +0100
To: Ross Callon <rcallon@juniper.net>
Subject: Re: [lisp] Additional Points, RE: Progress on threats document

Hello,

On 26 Feb 2015, at 02:27, Ross Callon <rcallon@juniper.net> wrote:

> As promised in my last email, here are a few other comments on the threats document:
>
> In section 3.1 (gleaning), the first four paragraphs talk about threats that can be defeated by simply turning off gleaning (if you don't glean, you don't accept incorrect information from spoofed incoming packets). However, the fifth paragraph talks about the impact on the control plane from the fact that a map request needs to be sent in response to incoming packets from unknown EIDs. This of course applies whether or not you are gleaning. Perhaps we should append to the fifth paragraph of 3.1 (the paragraph that starts "A gleaning attack does not only impact..."):
>
>   This issue occurs even if gleaning is turned off, since whether or not gleaning is used
>   the xTR still needs to send a map request in response to incoming packets whose EID is
>   not currently in the cache.

added with the following sentence:

        This issue can occur even if
        gleaning is turned off since whether or not gleaning is used the ITR
        may need to send a Map-Request in response to incoming packets whose
        EID is not currently in the cache.

> Section 3.3, fourth paragraph (counting the bullet points as paragraphs, thus the paragraph starting "A cross-mode attacker..."), second sentence. This currently reads:
>
>   For instance
>   if the mapping cached at the xTR is outdated, the xTR will send a
>   Map-Request to retrieve the new mapping which can yield to a DoS
>   attack (by excess of signalling traffic) or an amplification attack
>   if the data-plane packet sent by the attacker is smaller than the
>   control-plane packets sent in response to the attacker's packet.
>
> Strictly speaking an amplification attack can occur if the data-plane packet sent by the attacker uses less resources than the control plane packets sent in response, regardless of the type of resource. Thus bandwidth is one form of resource (for which the current text is correct), and processing is another type of resource. I suppose that the bandwidth internal to a router between the data and control planes is another resource (which might not be used at all by most data plane packets). Thus it might be more correct to change this sentence slightly to read:
>
>   For instance
>   if the mapping cached at the xTR is outdated, the xTR will send a
>   Map-Request to retrieve the new mapping which can yield to a DoS
>   attack (by excess of signalling traffic) or an amplification attack
>   if the data-plane packet sent by the attacker is smaller, or otherwise
>   uses fewer resources, than the
>   control-plane packets sent in response to the attacker's packet.

ok

> Finally, this afternoon I was re-reading section 6.3 ("Routing Locator Reachability") of RFC 6830 (the LISP spec). Quite a bit of what might go wrong if this is attacked is already in the threats document. However, a thought occurred to me: If an attacker uses spoofed packets to fill up the xTR's cache, will the xTR subsequently use one of the techniques from section 6.3 to periodically check the liveness of the entries that have been added to its cache? If so, this would seem to amplify the effect of a cache-filling attack.  I am wondering whether section 3.1 should have a paragraph (one sentence long) added to the end which states something along the lines of:
>
>   If an xTR chooses to periodically check the liveness of entries in its cache
>   (as described in section 6.3 of [RFC6830]), then this may amplify the work
>   needed to deal with extra entries that an attacker has inserted into the
>   xTR's cache.

Good point, I renamed the section to "Routing Locator Reachability” and appended the following sentence:

        If an xTR chooses to periodically check with active probes the liveness
        of entries in its EID-to-RLOC cache (as described in section 6.3 of
        [RFC6830]), then this may amplify the attack that
        caused the insertion of entries being checked.

Thanks

Damien Saucez