Re: [lisp] Questions about draft-saucez-lisp-itr-graceful-03

Marc Binderberger <marc@sniff.de> Wed, 19 February 2014 19:53 UTC

Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2014 11:53:05 -0800
From: Marc Binderberger <marc@sniff.de>
To: Dino Farinacci <farinacci@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [lisp] Questions about draft-saucez-lisp-itr-graceful-03

Hello Dino et al.,

>> but then the "Traffic deflection to other ITRs (or a PxTR)" could be
>> used to fill the cache of the 2nd ITR (the one that is not reloaded).
>
> Then you get sub-optimal routing.
>
>> You turn it on on ITR2 (off on ITR1), change your IGP to send all LISP
>> data to remote sites to ITR2, "wait a bit", then ITR2 should be ready,
>
> This is easier said then done. That means you have to inject *all
> remote EID-prefixes* into your IGP. That is a non-starter.

maybe I think too simple. Assuming you have two xTRs to connect your
site to the LISP cloud. They both originate a default route into your
site IGP. You then e.g. increase the metric of ITR1's default route or
remove the default originated into the site IGP. Routing out of the
site (to another EID) then moves to ITR2.

Ingress is a different story, probably you need to reduce TTL for
registrations sent from ITR1, so you end up traffic ingress will use
ITR2 only (?).

Then you are ready to reload ITR1.

Long story short: using the "Traffic deflection to other ITRs" plus the
right operational procedure may solve the problem?

Regards, Marc