[lisp] WG Charter

"Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com> Wed, 01 July 2015 14:18 UTC

To: "lisp@ietf.org" <lisp@ietf.org>
From: "Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 2015 10:18:14 -0400
Subject: [lisp] WG Charter

One of the things Luigi and I as chairs would like to do in Prague is
spend some time discussing among the WG participants what we want to
work on going forward.  To enable this, we would like to start
discussion on the list.  We will also follow the face to face with a
summary to the list and further discussion.

There are two aspects that are related but distinct, so to start this
off I want to identify them and ask folks to comment on them separately.

First, there is the question of direction for the basic LISP
specification.  We can leave it as it is.  However, folks have asked us
about moving it to Proposed Standard.  Based on our reading and
discussion with relevant ADs, one path to do this would be to refocus
the specification away from the core Internet scaling problems, and
instead towards a scalable anxd flexible overlay technology.  This would
not change the technical procedures, but would have significnat impact
on the descriptive text.

Does the WG think this is a good idea?  If so, do folks want to do it?

Second, there are a large number of pieces that people have proposed
(many with drafts).  There are probably too many to include everything
in the charter.  Which things do people think are important for the WG.
  In particular, explanations of why particular items are important, and
comments pro or con from folks who are not the document authors are
particularly useful to the community.  (I doubt that there will be
significant negative comment since I have not seen proposals that are
bad ideas.  However, the WG has to prioritize and choose.)

Yours,
Joel