Re: [lisp] Mirja Kühlewind's Discuss on draft-ietf-lisp-rfc6833bis-13: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

"Mirja Kuehlewind (IETF)" <ietf@kuehlewind.net> Tue, 05 February 2019 17:15 UTC

From: "Mirja Kuehlewind (IETF)" <ietf@kuehlewind.net>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2019 18:15:45 +0100
Cc: lisp-chairs@ietf.org, "lisp@ietf.org list" <lisp@ietf.org>, The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>, Luigi Iannone <ggx@gigix.net>, Colin Perkins <csp@csperkins.org>, draft-ietf-lisp-rfc6833bis@ietf.org
To: Dino Farinacci <farinacci@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [lisp] Mirja Kühlewind's Discuss on draft-ietf-lisp-rfc6833bis-13: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Hi Dino,

catching up from here, because I think I never got a reply from you. Please see below.

> Am 18.09.2018 um 13:05 schrieb Mirja Kuehlewind (IETF) <ietf@kuehlewind.net>:
>
> Hi Dino,
>
> please see below.
>
>> Am 13.09.2018 um 23:46 schrieb Dino Farinacci <farinacci@gmail.com>:
>>
>> I have a new diff file for -15 of 6833bis. I have included changes from your emails and from Colin’s. See my responses inline. I have trimmed a bit of text to hopefully make it more readable for others.
>>
>> I will only submit the new revision if you agree with the changes and there are no objections from 	the LISP working group. Thanks in advance.

>>> I guess this sentence should be revised then.
>>
>> Fixed.
>
> The sentence still talked about „future version of the protocol“. Is that still necessary?

The sentence is still there. Please fix.

>>> This should be stated in section 18.
>>
>> Done.
>
> I would specifically state here that for that reason no interop problems are expected.

This is okay but could be more explicit.

>>> This is a different issue. The control plane protocol as specified in this doc also needs to consider fragmentation and MTU. Please read RFC8085 accordingly.
>>
>> I have added text per Colin’s comments.
>
> Just pointing to RFC8085 is not enough. This spec must specify that messages MUST not exceed the MTU and fragmentation should not be used. And further either recommend to use MTU discovery or just restrict the message size according to the recommendations in RFC8085. I would recommend to just do the later for simplicity.

This is still try. Just point to RFC8085 is not sufficient. RFC8085 gives recommendations. Each protocol spec must require the respective approach that is most appropriate for that protocol to recommend implementing.

>>> I didn’t find a reference in -14. However a reference is not enough, the specified behavior is not appropriate and needs to change. If you need further help, please consult the respective transport experts, e.g. Gorry Fairhurst who is an author of RFC8085.
>>
>> I have added text. We have a smaller interval because 3 seconds is way too long (arguably 1 seond is too) to populate a map-cache. Note during that time, packets that arrive to the ITR are discarded. So this occurs if just one Map-Request is lost.
>
> As I said, just providing a pointer to RFC8085 is not sufficient.

Again, still true!

>>> Not sure if that is the right choice because it may interact badly with loss detection. However, as I said the specified behavior need to be refined at various places in the doc.
>>
>> Well there is not many choices.
>
> You can choose to not have this rate limiting but limit the total number of request per requesting router per time interval. That would trigger a reply immediately but still limit the total load in case of „bad-actors“.

There is still further guidance missing here.

>>> I think clear default guidance must be given in this document. My main problem is that the guidance here is not clear (in relation to other rate limits).
>>
>> I have tightened it up.
>
> I don’t think I saw any change in the diff you’ve attached. Please explain what you did.

Still don’t see any changes…

>>> If you detect loss, you should send slower not faster for congestion collapse avoidance.
>>
>> That was my point.
>
> Should should instead specify a similar loss detection and retransmission mechanism for Map-Request as now done for Map-Notify. The rate-limit alone is not helpful.

This is also missing.

>>> That fine but you also need to specify normatively an upper bound.
>>
>> The recommended upper bound is 1 minute. If you are not getting your point across, please be more specific.
>
> Then you have to say „MUST NOT send more than one message per minutes“. The current text just gives a recommendation what a go value might be but does not specify an actually limit.

This is still outstanding.

>>> That all fine. However, you don’t specify the behavior if the ack is not received. How/when is the message assumed to be lost? When should it be retransmitted? How often? When to give up? Should exponential backoff be used? This whole part s completely missing in the spec.
>>
>> Have added text.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Not sure I understand the first sentence:
>
> „A sender of an unsolicited Map-Notify message (one that is not used
> 	   as an acknowledgment to a Map-Register message) will follow the
> 	   Congestion Control And Relability Guideline sections of [RFC8085].“
>
> The rest of the text is fine and gives a good spec. I think it is okay to mention that that spec is inline with RFC8085 but other than that I’m not sure what this first sentence is telling me…?

First sentence is still there and confusing from my point of view.

> And also the last sentence is not fully clear:
>
> "After this time, the Map-
> 	   Notify sender can only get the RLOC-set change by later querying the
> 	   mapping system or by RLOC-probing one of the RLOCs of the existing
> 	   cached RLOC-set to get the new RLOC-set.“
>
> I don’t think there should be an attempt to later try again. Probably the system should log or notify an error instead. However, if it makes sense to try later again you have to specify what later means (hours, days?) and how often it should try again before it finally gives up and logs an error.

Can you please further clarify this?

>>> In section 8.2 a few SHOULDs are used but no discussion about when it would be appropriate to not follow these SHOULDs. Further these SHOULDs mainly just say what should be implemented and provided, however there is no normative language that these endpoint SHOULD/MUST actually be authenticated or that the configured EID-Prefixes list MUST be enforced.

>>> Okay, if the map-resolver is IPv6 and I receive an IPv4 packet, how can I copy the "the data packet's destination address“ which is IPv4 in to the "destination IP address used for the Map-Request“ which is IPv6? Or even worse, the other way around.
>>
>> Because a Map-Request going to the mapping system is “ECM’ed” “Encapsulated Control Message” with the header address-family as the EID being requested.
>
> You say that if the EID send e.g. an IPv4 message it also has to be encapsulated in IPv4? That is stated nowhere. If that is the intention that has to be specified. However, I don’t really see why this restriction needs to exists…?

This seems still to be missing.

>>> What? You say all address families are used all the time but not in some ITRs…? I don’t understand what you want to say. However, if e.g. an IPv4 packet is received and processed, it probably doesn’t make sense to only include the IPv6 locator address (and not the IPv4 locator address), especially as it is unknown if the ITR support IPV6 (while it has been proven to support IPv4). Currently the spec however would allow that. I’m saying it should to make sure there is no unnecessary failure case her.
>>
>> RLOCs for an xTR can be a collection of IPv4 and IPv6 addresses. They are tested by remote ITRs to see if they are reachable. When they are, they may be used. When they are not, no packets get encapsulated to those RLOCs.
>>
>> The Routing Locator Reachability section explains this.
>
> This is all understood. I’m still wondering if there should be more normative recommendations which locator addresses should be included.

Still open I guess.

>>> This is not what the text says. Please clarify in the doc.
>>
>> It says it in RFC6830bis since this decision is done by the data-plane.
>
> I still think the text in this doc is not correct.

This is still seems to be the case.

>> While trying to change it, I noticed its already there:
>>
>> 	<t>When an ITR receives an SMR-based Map-Request for
>>        which it does not have a cached mapping for the EID in
>>        Map-Request. This scenario can occur when an ETR sends
>>        SMR messages to all Locators in the Locator-Set it has
>>        stored in its Map-Cache but the remote ITRs that receive the
>>        SMR may not be sending packets to the site. There is no
>>        point in updating the ITRs until they need to send, in
>>        which case they will send Map-Requests to obtain a
>>        Map-Cache entry.</t>
>
> Good. Thanks! I guess that was changed based on someone else comment already.

>>> I would expect to still see more reasoning in the doc.
>>
>> Sorry, I was wrong in my reply. I read Map-Reply. For Map-Registers this is normal behavior that a request is sent to a well-known port and a reply is sent *from* the well known port.
>
> Okay, then I still don’t understand WHY this is done?

Would still be nice to add some reasoning.

Mirja