Re: [lmap] default value for the controller-timeout

"MORTON, ALFRED C (AL)" <acmorton@att.com> Thu, 04 February 2016 16:22 UTC

From: "MORTON, ALFRED C (AL)" <acmorton@att.com>
To: Juergen Schoenwaelder <j.schoenwaelder@jacobs-university.de>
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2016 11:22:25 -0500
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "lmap@ietf.org" <lmap@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [lmap] default value for the controller-timeout

[ACM] My concern as we started this discussion is about having
an "embedded behavior" = default timeout in the MA.
I'm using this term "embedded behavior" for lack of a better one,
since the MA would apparently need to be instantiated with this timeout.
The framework mentions the timeout configuration (end of 5.3.1):
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7594#section-5.3.1

   The Controller may want an MA to run the same Measurement Task
   indefinitely (for example, "run the 'upload speed' Measurement Task
   once an hour until further notice").  To prevent the MA continuously
   generating traffic after a Controller has permanently failed (or
   communications with the Controller have failed), the MA can be
   configured with a time limit; if the MA doesn't hear from the
   Controller for this length of time, then it stops operating
   Measurement Tasks.

but doesn't mention an embedded default for this time limit.

After having read
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-netmod-opstate-reqs-04
yesterday (which I know you've read, too)
the "embedded behavior" = default timeout in the MA
isn't part of "Applied Configuration" or "Derived State",
so it may not be possible to retrieve the timeout setting.

What is the down-side to making the
ma-config-controller-timeout object Mandatory?
Having to repeat the object with every Instruction?
But this would make the timeout part of the retrievable configuration,
and that's what I would like to see, if it's not a burden elsewhere.

Al