Re: [LOOPS] LOOPS Comments

wangjl50 <wangjl50@chinatelecom.cn> Thu, 14 May 2020 05:08 UTC

Date: Thu, 14 May 2020 13:07:54 +0800
From: wangjl50 <wangjl50@chinatelecom.cn>
To: Martin Duke <martin.h.duke@gmail.com>, loops <loops@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [LOOPS] LOOPS Comments

 Hi,

I agree with starting with the specific transport behavior.

LOOPS enabled in-network recovery is most likely to be enable for certain applications, not all traffic. As operator, we can identify the traffic from those applications and  direct them to LOOPS enabled tunnel ingress.

Talking about means for endpoints to aware the LOOPS enabled service somewhere in the middle and be correctly configured, I believe it is highly feasible for the direction from the server to the client. We can assume specific behaviors at the server side for, e.g. ECN enablement, DUPACK based loss detection or time-based loss detection.
For applications like gaming ( e.g. Arena Of Valor, a local popular game here), traffic from server to client direction highly affects the experience of customers. In-network recovery would be good to help in this case.

A slightly different case is payment. There are very small number of packets in both directions. The host sender (no matter which direction) does not necessarily care about the window adjustment as it is very likely a one-time sending. What matters is simply to save the potential tail loss as soon as possible. In-network recovery could help here without worrying too much about how the e2e sender would detect or react to a loss. As long as the packet is recovered quickly, we are good.

Best regards
Jianglong Wang