Re: [LOOPS] draft-li-tsvwg-loops-problem-opportunities-05 - why do traffic engineering at the overlay as well?

Gorry Fairhurst <gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk> Thu, 09 July 2020 09:46 UTC

To: Liyizhou <liyizhou@huawei.com>, Carsten Bormann <cabo@tzi.org>
Cc: loops <loops@ietf.org>
From: Gorry Fairhurst <gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 2020 10:46:47 +0100
Subject: Re: [LOOPS] draft-li-tsvwg-loops-problem-opportunities-05 - why do traffic engineering at the overlay as well?

On 08/07/2020 03:49, Liyizhou wrote:
> Hi Gorry and Carsten,
>
> Please see inlines with [yz]

[gf] That would be really good to see soon, so I and others understand
the planned scope.

> While this scenario  is in focus, can you explain section 3.1, this seems a discussion of TLP. Is this an “issue” fixed by RACK or have I missed something?
>
> [yz] Yes, it talks about negative impact of tail loss. TLP in RACK tries to fix it. In my understanding, In-network recovery (LOOPS) can help in the cases of: 1) sender has not used the time based loss detection in TCP, or not a TCP sender. 2) Segment detects the loss and then recover it faster, fire of TLP timer at the sender is reduced when RACK is in use.
[gf] Why? I think I am missing something:  QUIC uses RACK-like recovery.
Many TCP stacks are moving to do this. Why is this still a cricial thing
to address within the network?
> I'm curious why you split RTP, bulk and other transfers apart in this case - to be sure, is this just to explain different merits of the same advocated approach, or is it that you see differentiation within the network based on flow type?
>
> [yz] This tries to show that in-network recovery brings benefits to different types of transported data. Current doc structure seems a bit confusing. Could be interpreted as those merits only applicable to one scenario. Indeed they are common to all scenarios. Will re-structure the section alignment. Thank you.

[gf] It would be good to clarify: So I think that I understand then the
proposed methods are neutral to the type of traffic: That is, they will
not expose details of the flow to the network to select different
treatments?

Gorry