[LOOPS] FW: New Version Notification for draft-ietf-tsvwg-tunnel-congestion-feedback-07.txt

"Weixinpeng (Jackie)" <weixinpeng@huawei.com> Mon, 06 May 2019 02:40 UTC

From: "Weixinpeng (Jackie)" <weixinpeng@huawei.com>
To: "tsvwg@ietf.org" <tsvwg@ietf.org>
CC: "loops@ietf.org" <loops@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 06 May 2019 02:40:06 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.111.217.191]
Subject: [LOOPS] FW: New Version Notification for draft-ietf-tsvwg-tunnel-congestion-feedback-07.txt

Hi,

We are reactivating the following document as it has been found out useful for some ongoing work, i.e. https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-sfc-nsh-ecn-support/  and LOOPS (Localized Optimization of Path Segments).

I cc'ed to LOOPS mailing list as I think this mechanism provides supplementary information about the tunnel  (path segment in LOOPS terminology)  congestion level which might benefit LOOPS to determine if a local recovery is necessary and if a loss signal should be relayed back to end host sender further.  With LOOPS, it can be used together with segment based local RTT measurement information.  Normally CE marking should happen before a real packet loss if congestion occurs. So when there is a loss detected but with low CE marking ratio, local recovery is reasonable to be performed and signal of a loss event may not be necessarily relayed to end host sender to trigger window reduction.
If FEC is used, this information would be useful for tunnel FEC parameter settings, such as the number of symbols in a source block and number of repair packets. It might be worth noting that a rate limiter at tunnel ingress would be required to avoid overshooting if congestion occurs.

Currently we are using IPFIX to carry back the information from tunnel egress to ingress. LOOPS guys may want to use some other encapsulations. You are welcome to bring it up.

Thanks,
- Xinpeng