Re: [lp-wan] C Implementation of SCHC ?

<dominique.barthel@orange.com> Sun, 20 October 2019 06:48 UTC

From: dominique.barthel@orange.com
To: Hannes Tschofenig <Hannes.Tschofenig@arm.com>
CC: lp-wan <lp-wan@ietf.org>
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2019 06:48:17 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.114.13.247]
Subject: Re: [lp-wan] C Implementation of SCHC ?

Hello Hannes,

Indeed, I agree that the SCHC acronym is kind of a misnomer.
SCHC&FR would be technically more accurate, but totally un-pronounceable.
The common part is SC (Static Context). HC (Header Compression) and FR (Fragmentation/Reassembly) are mostly independent, except they share the same RuleID (name)space.
>  as well as support for reliable transmission of packets.
Actually,  it includes support for reliable transmission of fragments. If the packet is compressed but not fragmented, there Is no reliability mechanism added.
Unless the implementer decides to use the fragmentation mechanics just for the benefit of reliability, even if fragmentation itself is not required.
Best regards,

Dominique

De : Hannes Tschofenig <Hannes.Tschofenig@arm.com<mailto:Hannes.Tschofenig@arm.com>>
Date : Saturday 19 October 2019 18:08
À : Dominique Barthel <dominique.barthel@orange.com<mailto:dominique.barthel@orange.com>>
Cc : lp-wan <lp-wan@ietf.org<mailto:lp-wan@ietf.org>>
Objet : RE: [lp-wan] C Implementation of SCHC ?

Thanks, Dominique.

Regarding the implementation question I cannot really help because I don’t know what the RIoT guys are trying to accomplish.

I was actually surprised to see that the work on static header compression is actually much more than compression. It includes a protocol for fragmentation and reassembly as well as support for reliable transmission of packets.

Ciao
Hannes