Re: [lp-wan] An SCHC implementation and evaluation paper

Bart Moons <bamoons.moons@ugent.be> Mon, 29 April 2019 15:01 UTC

Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2019 17:00:56 +0200
From: Bart Moons <bamoons.moons@ugent.be>
To: "dominique.barthel@orange.com" <dominique.barthel@orange.com>
Cc: "lp-wan@ietf.org" <lp-wan@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [lp-wan] An SCHC implementation and evaluation paper

Dear Dominique,

If we take a packet of 128 bytes and the underlying technology provides a MTU of 51 bytes and we use the following configuration:
FCN_SIZE = 3;
W_SIZE = 1;
DTAG_SIZE = 0;
MIC_SIZE = 32;
RULE_SIZE = 8;
HEADER_RESIDUE = 0;

So each fragment has a 12 bit overhead. The last one 44 bit overhead. This gives 68 bit header overhead in total. To fill the remaining bits, 4 bits of padding are added to the end. This results in a total of 9 bytes overhead.
3 fragments are required in downlink in response to the SCHC compressed CoAP request. Also an SCHC ACK is required. This gives a total of 5 packet exchanges.

The compression header in figure 3 is used to represent the rule id and is indeed a bit misleading. The compression header is used to represent the rule id, while the first fragment will carry the compression residue (which is 0 in this case) as well as the remaining payload bytes. But we actually remove the rule id from the compression header when a packet is fragmented and restore this on the receiving side when all fragments are received.
We are still exploring the proposed LSCHC (Layered SCHC, proposed by K. Abdelfadeel), and that is also what I implemented. However, since these fields can be added together in one IPv6+UDP rule, the result of the calculation will remain the same. Hence, when using 3 UDP rules and 2 IPv6 rules, the layered form will be more efficient. I think it also makes sense to split IPv6 and UDP rules, as the CoAP spec implies this behavior. This will also make it easier to compress multiple layer 4 protocols (like TCP).
Hopefully this makes this a bit more clear.
Kind regards,
Bart

Bart Moons
Ghent University - imec
IDLab

iGent Tower - Department of Information Technology
Technologiepark-Zwijnaarde 15, B-9052 Ghent, Belgium (https://maps.google.com/?q=Technologiepark-Zwijnaarde%2015%2C%20B-9052%20Ghent%2C%20Belgium)

bamoons.moons@ugent.be (mailto:bamoons.moons@ugent.be) +32 472 42 23 91 (tel:%20+32%20472%2042%2023%2091)
http://IDLab.UGent.be
http://idlab.technology