[lp-wan] RuleID description; draft-ietf-lpwan-schc-over-lorawan-02

<dominique.barthel@orange.com> Tue, 16 July 2019 14:04 UTC

From: dominique.barthel@orange.com
To: "draft-ietf-lpwan-schc-over-lorawan@ietf.org" <draft-ietf-lpwan-schc-over-lorawan@ietf.org>
CC: "lp-wan@ietf.org" <lp-wan@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2019 14:04:06 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.114.13.247]
Subject: [lp-wan] RuleID description; draft-ietf-lpwan-schc-over-lorawan-02

Hello authors,

I've read draft-ietf-lpwan-schc-over-lorawan-02. Thanks for providing this
improved version!
This comment is related to the Rule ID description (more general comments
to come in a separate mail).

Section 5.2 states that the Rule ID is on 6 bits. However, when
FPortUpShort is used, RuleID is actually expressed on 0 (zero) bits.
Besides, this document is mostly about adaptation to the underlying layer,
i.e. Specifying Fragmentation. The requirements for compression mostly
stem from the upper layers, which this document does not address.
Therefore, the specification that 62 rules are available for compression,
and that the compression RuleIDs are expressed on 6 bits, looks premature
to me.
I therefore suggest you describe the RuleID with something like
"The RuleID is of variable length, and lengths of 8 and 14 bits are used
for fragmentation.
The SCHC RuleID overlaps with the LoRaWAN Fport field and potentially with
some of the LoRaWAN payload.
The SCHC RuleID only uses three Fport values called FPortUpShort,
FPortUpDefault and FPortDown, which are taken from the available range
specified by LoRaWAN.
By default, these values are 0x20, 0x21 ad 0x22, respectively.
The following RuleIDs are used for the various combinations of flow
direction (uplink vs. downlink) and SCHC messages:

< - - - Rule ID - -
< - -  Fport - - > < - LoRaWAN payload
+-----------------+-------------------
| 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 |                       # short uplink fragmentation
message (FPort = FPortUpShort)
| 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 1   0 0 0 0 0 0 |         # standard uplink fragmentation
message (FPort = FPortUpDefault)
| 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 1   1 1 1 1 1 1 |         # uplink uncompressed
unfragmented SCHC Packet (FPort = FPortUpDefault)
| 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 1   (any other pattern) |  # uplink compressed
unfragmented SCHC Packet (FPort = FPortUpDefault)
| 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0   0 0 0 0 0 0 |         # downlink fragmentation message
(FPort = FPortDown)
| 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0   1 1 1 1 1 1 |         # downlink uncompressed
unfragmented SCHC Packet (FPort = FPortDown)
| 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0   (any other pattern) |  # downlink compressed
unfragmented SCHC Packet (FPort = FPortDown)
"

One could even argue that the "uncompressed unfragmented" RuleID would be
better left to the compression draft, together with the other compression
RuleIDs.

Comments, opinions?
Best regards

Dominique