Re: [lp-wan] I-D Action: draft-ietf-lpwan-coap-static-context-hc-06.txt

Laurent Toutain <laurent.toutain@imt-atlantique.fr> Sun, 12 May 2019 17:12 UTC

From: Laurent Toutain <laurent.toutain@imt-atlantique.fr>
Date: Sun, 12 May 2019 19:11:18 +0200
To: BARTHEL Dominique IMT/OLPS <dominique.barthel@orange.com>
Cc: "draft-ietf-lpwan-coap-static-context-hc@ietf.org" <draft-ietf-lpwan-coap-static-context-hc@ietf.org>, "lp-wan@ietf.org" <lp-wan@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [lp-wan] I-D Action: draft-ietf-lpwan-coap-static-context-hc-06.txt

On Fri, May 3, 2019 at 6:34 PM <dominique.barthel@orange.com> wrote:

> Dear authors,
>
> I've read draft-ietf-lpwan-coap-static-context-hc-06 .

thank you very much Dominique,

Here are a few comments so far. I haven't seriously read OSCORE and
> examples yet.
> Overall, you are not using MUST and SHOULD. Is this intended because of
> the informational status?

yes, rule gives a lot of flexibility and the compression mechanism depends
of the
usage. The goal of the document is to explain how to apply compression to
CoAP
protocol.

Thanks for the correction, this document is in the standard track not
informational.

> Technical
> - I did not understand the last paragraph of 4.5 CoAP Token fields.

In SCHC when you don't know the field size at the rule creation, you can
define the field as variable.
For instance :
FID.                    FL MO.     CDA
CoAP.URI-path. var ignore value-sent

in that case, the var keyword in the Field Length will make the compression
send the length (in byte)
before the value of the field.

A CoAP Token has almost the same behavior as a URI-path, but the length and
the value are stored
at 2 differents place in the CoAP Header.

The paragraph says that instead of var function to describe the length, a
tkl function must be used. The
tlk function indicates that the length is stored in the CoAP TKL field. The
receiver must use this value
to determine the value sent on the radio.

> - I did not understand the first sentence of 5.3.1, Variable length
> Uri-Path and Uri-Query. Do you mean "not" known?

yep, changed.

> Also, I think the
> following sentence no longer applies "and the LSB CDA must not carry any
> value."

yes, that a remain of an older version of SCHC rule, suppressed in the draft

> - 6.3 No-Response: "If the value is not known, ...". I guess you mean the
> opposite.

right, not has been removed

> - 6.4 Time Scale: "If the value is not known, ...". I guess you mean the
> opposite.

idem

> Editorial
> - Section 1 Introduction: "The context is said static since the field
> description composing the Rules and the context are not learned during the
> packet exchanges but are previously defined." Context used twice, sentence
> needs rewriting.

suppressed context: old reference.

> - many more English writing nits, I will do a Pull Request on GitHub.

we did the merge.