[Lsr] Eric Rescorla's No Objection on draft-ietf-lsr-isis-rfc7810bis-04: (with COMMENT)

Eric Rescorla <ekr@rtfm.com> Thu, 20 December 2018 14:03 UTC

From: Eric Rescorla <ekr@rtfm.com>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: ketant@cisco.com, aretana.ietf@gmail.com, lsr-chairs@ietf.org, lsr@ietf.org, Ketan Talaulikar <ketant@cisco.com>, draft-ietf-lsr-isis-rfc7810bis@ietf.org
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2018 06:03:17 -0800
Subject: [Lsr] Eric Rescorla's No Objection on draft-ietf-lsr-isis-rfc7810bis-04: (with COMMENT)

Eric Rescorla has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-lsr-isis-rfc7810bis-04: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-lsr-isis-rfc7810bis/

COMMENT:

Rich version of this review at:
https://mozphab-ietf.devsvcdev.mozaws.net/D5671

This seems like a straightforward document.

Looking at S 14, I see the following "The following people contributed
substantially to the content of this
document and should be considered co-authors". Is this just an
artifact of the 5 author limit? Perhaps we should make an exception.

COMMENTS
S 4.1.

>      A bit: The A bit represents the Anomalous (A) bit.  The A bit is set
>      when the measured value of this parameter exceeds its configured
>      maximum threshold.  The A bit is cleared when the measured value
>      falls below its configured reuse threshold.  If the A bit is clear,
>      the sub-TLV represents steady-state link performance.

Just to be clear, I have no way of knowing remotely what the threshold
is, right?

S 4.2.
>      value (in microseconds) over a configurable interval, encoded as an
>      integer value.
>
>      Implementations MAY also permit the configuration of an offset value
>      (in microseconds) to be added to the measured delay value, to
>      facilitate the communication of operator-specific delay constraints.

I'm probably missing something, but I don't think I understand the
purpose of this. Would you mind adding a sentence or two about how you
would use this offset?

S 4.3.

>      RESERVED: This field is reserved for future use.  It MUST be set to 0
>      when sent and MUST be ignored when received.
>
>      Delay Variation: This 24-bit field carries the average link delay
>      variation over a configurable interval in microseconds, encoded as an

So the peer has no idea of what that interval is, right?