Re: [Lsr] WG Adoption Call for draft-li-lsr-dynamic-flooding-02 + IPR poll.

Huaimo Chen <huaimo.chen@huawei.com> Wed, 27 February 2019 05:15 UTC

From: Huaimo Chen <huaimo.chen@huawei.com>
To: Peter Psenak <ppsenak@cisco.com>, Christian Hopps <chopps@chopps.org>, "lsr@ietf.org" <lsr@ietf.org>
CC: "lsr-chairs@ietf.org" <lsr-chairs@ietf.org>, "lsr-ads@ietf.org" <lsr-ads@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2019 05:15:46 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.212.245.174]
Subject: Re: [Lsr] WG Adoption Call for draft-li-lsr-dynamic-flooding-02 + IPR poll.

Hi Peter,

Section 6.7.11 just briefly mentions that the edges of split parts will determine and repair the split after the split of the flooding topology happens. However, there is not any details or description on how to determine or repair the split. This is not useful for implementers.

> > 2)           The extensions to Hello protocols for enabling "temporary
> flooding" over a new link is not needed.
>
> not if you do flooding on every link that comes up. If you want to be smarter, then you need to
> selectively enable flooding only under specific conditions and that must be done from both sides of
> the new link.

There are only a limited number of conditions (or cases).  In each condition/case, it is deterministic whether we need to enable "temporary flooding" for a new link when it is up.  Thus there is no need for any extensions to Hello protocols for enabling "temporary flooding" on a new link.

For example, suppose that we have a current flooding topology containing all live nodes in an area, when a new link comes up, we may just have two conditions/cases. One condition/case is that the new link is attached to a new node not on the current flooding topology. In this condition/case, the new link needs to be enabled for "temporary flooding" after it is up. The other condition/case is that the new link is attached to nodes on the current flooding topology. In this condition/case, there is no need to enable "temporary flooding" on the link.

> > 3)           The extensions to Hello protocols for requesting/signaling
> > "temporary flooding" for a connection does not work.
>
> sorry, but if you see a problem, please provide details, saying above is
> simply unproductive.

"The nodes ... will try to repair the flooding topology locally by enabling temporary flooding towards the nodes that they consider disconnected from the flooding topology ..."

The above quoted text is from draft-li-lsr-dynamic-flooding-02, where "enabling temporary flooding towards the nodes" is to request/signal "temporary flooding" for a connection to connect partitioned/disconnected flooding topology into one through the extensions to Hello protocols described in draft-li-lsr-dynamic-flooding-02. Right?

The extensions to Hello protocols for requesting/signaling "temporary flooding" for a connection to connect partitioned/disconnected flooding topology into one does not work since the connection may have two or more hops and a Hello packet may get lost.

> > In addition, for signaling the distributed solution/mode or the
> > centralized solution/mode, a user/operator needs to configure or select
> > a solution/mode on a node via CLI or other approach first. Which node
> > should the user/operator use to configure/select a mode?  If the
> > user/operator can only use the leader node in the area to configure,
> > then it is neither convenient nor reasonable. The leader node in the
> > area is dynamically generated. But in the distributed mode/solution,
> > there is no leader selection (i.e., no leader should be generated).
>
> there is an area leader in both modes. In distributed mode the area
> leader is the one that advertises the algorithm that is used by all
> nodes that participates in dynamic flooding.

It is not convenient for a user/operator to configure on an area leader since the leader is dynamically selected. How do you address this?

After the user/operator does some configurations on the (designated) leader, will the backup leader takes over the configurations after the designated leader is down?

Best Regards,
Huaimo