[Lsr] Barry Leiba's No Objection on draft-ietf-ospf-ospfv2-hbit-11: (with COMMENT)

Barry Leiba via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Wed, 04 December 2019 20:47 UTC

From: Barry Leiba via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-ospf-ospfv2-hbit@ietf.org, Yingzhen Qu <yingzhen.ietf@gmail.com>, aretana.ietf@gmail.com, lsr-chairs@ietf.org, yingzhen.ietf@gmail.com, lsr@ietf.org
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2019 12:47:27 -0800
Subject: [Lsr] Barry Leiba's No Objection on draft-ietf-ospf-ospfv2-hbit-11: (with COMMENT)

Barry Leiba has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-ospf-ospfv2-hbit-11: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ospf-ospfv2-hbit/

COMMENT:

I'm going to complain about some wording in Section 5 that Ben already called
out, but I'll try to put in some specific suggestions for corrections here:

   In normal operation, there is no guarantee that the RI LSA will reach
   all routers in an area in a timely manner, which may result in
   forwarding loops in partial deployments.

This wording makes it sound exactly the opposite of what you mean, that if the
RI LSA *does* reach all routers in a timely manner it can cause forwarding
loops.  I suggest this:

NEW
   In normal operation, it is possible that the RI LSA will fail to
   reach all routers in an area in a timely manner.  That can result
   in forwarding loops in partial deployments.
END

   For example, if a new
   router joins an area, which previously had only H-bit capable routers
   with H-bit set then it may take some time for the RI to propagate to
   all routers.

First, change "area, which" to "area that" (no comma).  That fixes a usage
problem.

But second, Ben and I are both unsure whether you mean that the new router does
or doesn't support the H bit, or whether it matters.  Maybe the right approach
here is to say a little more about what happens.  Something like this (adjust
as needed to make it correct):

NEW
   For example, if a new
   router joins an area that previously had only H-bit capable routers
   with H-bit set then it may take some time for the RI to propagate to
   all routers.  While it is propagating, the area as a whole is unsure of
   the status of the new router, and that can cause <what problem?>
END

   o  All routers, with the H-bit set, MUST advertise all of the
      router's non-stub links with a metric equal to MaxLinkMetric

Both commas need to be removed here.

   o  All routers supporting H-Bit MUST check all the RI LSAs of nodes
      in the area before actively running the modified SPF to account
      for the H-bit in order to verify that all routers are in routing
      capability.

This is very awkwardly worded and is really hard to decipher.  I *think* you
mean to say this:

NEW
   o  All routers supporting the H-Bit MUST check the RI LSAs of all
      nodes in the area to verify that all nodes support the H-Bit before
      actively using the H-Bit feature.
END

Did I get that right?