Re: [Lsr] LSR WG Adoption Poll for "Flexible Algorithms: Bandwidth, Delay, Metrics and Constraints" - draft-hegde-lsr-flex-algo-bw-con-02

gregory.mirsky@ztetx.com Tue, 25 May 2021 20:47 UTC

Date: Wed, 26 May 2021 04:47:16 +0800
From: gregory.mirsky@ztetx.com
To: anoop@alumni.duke.edu
Cc: lsr@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Lsr] LSR WG Adoption Poll for "Flexible Algorithms: Bandwidth, Delay, Metrics and Constraints" - draft-hegde-lsr-flex-algo-bw-con-02

Hi Anoop,

thank you for sharing your thoughts. I agree, it is very likely that in most cases, the potential inaccuracy of 1 usec per link would not affect the construction of a route. But for cases that require very low bounded latency, e.g., DetNet, such a level of uncertainty about the actual value of the delay might fail to find a route altogether. Consider a case where the measured e2e delay is N usec is well within the required level. But the sum of the advertised Maximum Link Delays is above that threshold.

I think that using 100 nsec as the unit of the Maximum Link Delay is a reasonable compromise between that scale and accuracy.

Regards,

Greg Mirsky

Sr. Standardization Expert
预研标准部/有线研究院/有线产品经营部 Standard Preresearch Dept./Wireline Product R&D Institute/Wireline Product Operation Division

E: gregory.mirsky@ztetx.com
www.zte.com.cn